Member Support

Introduce Yourself !

Waterflying People - Introduce Yourself!

Re: Introduce Yourself !

Unread postby jjbaker » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:07 am

You must have been watching very disturbing movies, Mr. Glenn! Holy Mama! :o
:idea:
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby Zeitners » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:07 am

I thought that you were from East of here where the boys dance in leather underware :shock:

Glenn

Okay folks - is there something I missed??? :o Leather underware? Jason?????
Inge
Zeitners
Bronze Wings Member
Bronze Wings Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:42 am

Naw, everything is normal.
Just another NY ambush on innocent & unsuspecting forum owner. :?
I am still waiting for them to start a proxy to get rid of me in the Members Only area... :lol:

These days it's best to wear a helmet 24/7!
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:45 am

I didn't know how to spell Lederhosen :oops:

Glenn
cubdriver2

Unread postby jjbaker » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:11 pm

Haha!
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby afhartt » Tue May 03, 2011 5:31 pm

Thanks all for the welcomes. I just had a small floatplane buzz the pond... one of you guys? Couldn't get out fast enough to see what it was think it was. Yes it is gods country up here and I am looking forward to exploring every inch of it from the air and ice for now, floats some day!
afhartt
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby americanflyyer » Fri May 20, 2011 12:07 pm

Hello seaplane pilots and enthusiasts,
my name is Joachim and I live in germany.
I spent last summer in Florida earning my CPL/IR licences together with the SEL and MEL ratings. As a little reward for the hard work involved I also got my seaplane addon. I did the SES rating at Brown's in Winter Haven and had alot of fun flying the Cub even though the weather was not as nice as I hoped. It still was a blast. As I still had a few days left before I had to leave Florida I also got the MES rating which I did with Skip Neidhardt of SPS of Palm Coast. Flying the Twin Bee was real fun, too. Other than that I don't have any seaplane experience, but my goal on the long haul is to fly seaplanes for a living.
Right now I'm working on converting my US licence to a european one, sort of a temporary solution until I get a US residence permit and find a job.

Unfortunally seaplanes aren't very popular in germany and there are only very few water bodies you are allowed to land on (not to mention the exorbitant costs of flying in europe).

Looking forward to meet some likeminded people here and maybe find some flying opportunities in the future.

Kind regards, Joachim.

PS: I am blogging about my flying experiences every once in a while on http://www.americanflyyer.wordpress.com
americanflyyer
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Fri May 20, 2011 5:04 pm

Hallo Joachim,

Herzlich Willkommen im Seaplaneforum!
Wir koennen auch Deutsch, or English - oder any desired Mischung of it.

Viel Spass!

Jason
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby Tim McCormack » Fri May 20, 2011 5:45 pm

Jason, you may koennen Deutsch, but none of the rest of us do. :lol:

Welcome Joachim. ( I believe that's pronounced "Yo achim" isn't it?)
Tim McCormack
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby americanflyyer » Fri May 20, 2011 7:02 pm

Thank's you two.

@Tim: yeah thas pretty close. Well, the "ch" is pronounced more like the "J" in Jose. Just sayin' 'caus a lot of people speak it like a "k".

@ Jason: how come you are speaking german?
americanflyyer
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby Tim McCormack » Fri May 20, 2011 8:18 pm

When I was still working (at Remington Arms Company) there was a German hunting magazine magazine writer who used to come to our factory to visit me when he was in this country. His name, if I remember correctly, was Joachim Franz. He told me that everyone called him Franz because they couldn't pronounce his first name. That's how I knew how to pronounce it. I had him help me learn how to say it so that I didn't have to call him by his last name. He was a very nice guy.
Tim McCormack
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Fri May 20, 2011 8:24 pm

@ Jason: how come you are speaking german?

Born in U.S. grew up and schooled in Germany. Raised bilingually & Doppelte Staatsbuergerschaft.
Deutsch ist meine Heimatsprache, also wenn's mal brenzlig wird mit dem Englisch, einfach fragen.

We have a few German speaking members, unfortunately not enough to have a German Seaplane Pilots corner.
Invite some, if you can!

;)

Jason
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby americanflyyer » Fri May 20, 2011 8:38 pm

@ Tim: I see. I had that kind of trouble too when I was in the US last summer. My instructor was german so he didn't had any problems with my name. But other people I met had areally hard time to pronounce my name correctly. At some point I gave up and just introduced myself as "Joe". Made it a lot easier.

@Jason: Interesting. Would love to live and work in the US. Unfortunately I don't have any relatives in the Us that could help me with that :(
Anyway, Ich denke nicht, dass ich sonderliche Probleme mit dem englischen haben werde. In 5 Monaten USA lernt man schon einiges. Trotzdem Danke für die Möglichkeit, werde drauf zurück kommen, wenn's nötig sein sollte.

I don't know many german (seaplane)pilots but I will see what I can do. My cousin might be interested and he knows a few pilots (mostly glider pilots).

Joachim
americanflyyer
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby Zeitners » Sun May 22, 2011 8:31 am

Hi Joachim,

where in Germany are you located? We live in Mainbullau (D-EDFU), close to Miltenberg and about 40 km south of Aschaffenburg, 65 km south of Frankfurt. Just look for D-EDFU. Maybe Jason should explain to you who I am because I sometimes have the feeling it's not politically correct to have your (harumph, ahem ahem) cruising around in your seaplane forum. But I'm having a bunch of fun doing exactly that!

Seaplane flying does not exist here in our area; I once wrote in another thread that there are two or three ponds close by, and I asked if anyone on the forum has a Harrier on floats to offer. They didn't answer which to this day I don't understand.

We should infiltrate this forum from this side of the ocean. Don't forget that we are six hours ahead of the others (the "East Coasters"), and by the time they are up in the morning and log in we've already been there
:twisted: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: creating all the mess we want.

As you may have noticed, don't (I mean DO NOT!!) take everything I write too serious.

Welcome to the forum.

Inge
Zeitners
Bronze Wings Member
Bronze Wings Member

Unread postby americanflyyer » Mon May 23, 2011 7:16 am

Hi Inge,

I live just north of Stuttgart (EDDS).

Yeah, seaplanes in Germany are almost nonexistant, unfortunally. The only ones I know of are the planes of Clipper Aviation up in Flensburg, there seem to be a few commercially used planes in Berlin and there is a PA18 on the river Mosel near Trier used for flight training. That's pretty much it. Sadly.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome.

Joachim
americanflyyer
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby Tim McCormack » Tue May 24, 2011 2:55 pm

Achtung! I think the Germans are taking over this thread. They're getting as bad as the New Yorkers! :P
Tim McCormack
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby Zeitners » Wed May 25, 2011 3:12 pm

Achtung yourself! As long as it's the only thread taken over by us you have nothing to worry about, you New Yorkers and East Coasters. But watch out for all the other threads - if you suddenly find strange and awkward questions, weird advice or other posts where you don't know what to think or what to do with them - it could have been us, posting in the early, early morning while you were still sleeping. :twisted: I need some advice from Jason how to hide who I am when posting...
Zeitners
Bronze Wings Member
Bronze Wings Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:35 pm

Zeitners wrote:Achtung yourself! As long as it's the only thread taken over by us you have nothing to worry about, you New Yorkers and East Coasters. But watch out for all the other threads - if you suddenly find strange and awkward questions, weird advice or other posts where you don't know what to think or what to do with them - it could have been us, posting in the early, early morning while you were still sleeping. :twisted: I need some advice from Jason how to hide who I am when posting...

Now it all makes sense :o you know :? why Jason is the way he is :lol:

Glenn
cubdriver2

Unread postby Zeitners » Thu May 26, 2011 3:26 am

You'll see - it's now 2:25 am your (U.S. East Coast) time and I'm already there... :mrgreen: :twisted:
Zeitners
Bronze Wings Member
Bronze Wings Member

Unread postby TriPacer » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:05 pm

Hi Seaplane Forum, my name's Brian (*muffled "Hi Brian") and I'm a floatplane addict... I've been flying floats for a measly 3 hours now, but it's the most fun thing I've done in a plane and I can't get enough!

Anywho, it's good to meet all of you - I'm looking forward to learning more about swimming planes and also how to get more involved with the seaplane community. I'm located in the Twin Cities, MN, and just started training at Adventure Seaplanes. I know Brian's on here and I have to admit that I embarrassed the heck out of myself last lesson being so far behind the plane (Jason suggested I bring a waterskiing rope to the next lesson), but I'm excited to learn, improve, and get rid of the bad habits that have crept up between my PPL checkride last summer and today. A dose of humility is always good - especially for a low-time (100 hr), overconfident pilot like myself.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to the discussions that pop up around here. Also, if you're near the Twin Cities and have a floatplane, I'll wash your car for a ride! :D

Cheers!
TriPacer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

New Guy Intro

Unread postby Bill Rusk » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:38 am

Folks

I am a little late joining this fine group. I am a Supercub guy. I live near Rockford Illinois. Anyone passing through I will do whatever I can to help. You can land on the river just north of downtown. I will be happy to help with food, fuel, transportation, and whatever else you need.
This is my cub pre mishap. I will be building another one soon I hope. If anyone knows of a good set of Baumann 2100 floats for sale I am looking.

Bill

Bill Rusk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: New Guy Intro

Unread postby Tim McCormack » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:23 am

Bill Rusk wrote:Folks

This is my cub pre mishap. I will be building another one soon I hope. If anyone knows of a good set of Baumann 2100 floats for sale I am looking.

Bill

Wow, Bill. That's quite a lead in!! :o

Welcome. We need some fresh meat in here to have some fun with.
Tim McCormack
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:38 am

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the group. What was the Mis-Hap? Hope all is well. Glenn, cubdriver2 can tell you about his Super Cub Mis-hap.

I used to live in Naperville, Stone Bridge and downtown Chicago, Illinois from 1986 - 1993 and then from 1996 - 1998.

Good luck with the new project and hope to see you in Rockford one of these day.

Ciao - Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Floatflyer » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:09 pm

Welcome, but you are going to have to throw some mud on your floats and plane so the rest of us don't feel so badly about our (at least mine) ratty looking planes. We need more posters and pictures so keep up the good work. FF
Floatflyer
Bronze Wings Member
Bronze Wings Member

Unread postby Steve Riggins » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:34 pm

Good to see you on board Bill. The new plane project will be your chance to change those little things you wished were done the last time.

I lived south of Champaign until four years ago when we moved across the border, still spend some time down there on the farm during the busy seasons. I had a major and a few annuals done at Poplar Grove over the years, I think we met at the FBO on one of those occasions.
Steve Riggins
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

PreviousNext

Return to Seaplane Pilots Welcome & Introductions + NOTAM's