Member Support

• Advertisement

Introduce Yourself !

Waterflying People - Introduce Yourself!

Introduce Yourself !

Unread postby jjbaker » Sat May 01, 2010 10:40 pm

Let others know who you are, where you fly and anything else you feel like sharing!
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Re: Introduce Yourself !

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Sun May 02, 2010 11:00 am

OK, I'm Glenn Guilfoyle, born 05/05/55 and I will be 55 in 3 day's on may 5th, I live just north of Cooperstown NY, There is a 3000' pond a mile from my house that a nice gentelman lets me dock my plane at May - Nov, I have a 100HP 1940 Piper J4A on edo 1320s and get about 120 hrs a year playing on floats, I'm lucky enough to be about a 1/2 hour flight south of the Adirondack Park and it's a great playground for a bum and a ratty 70 year old floatplane to hide on the weekends and after work with the longer days, a couple times a year I get up to Maine and that is a blast on floats and there is a great group of local float bums that let me hang out with them, the rest of the year after I remove the floats I fly out of the 800' strip in my backyard on wheels and get about 40 hrs a year on skis when the snow arrives, I like old cars, old planes, I even like my old lady. We have a great group of fliers around here and most of us can't afford to fly but we keep each other going and have a good time. If anybody going thru NYS and needs some help let us know if we can help 315-219-3944

Glenn
cubdriver2

Unread postby hindsbru » Sun May 02, 2010 11:44 am

Hello Everyone,
Who am I? Well, I'm an old retired airline pilot that never desired to own an airplane until I flew a friend's Cub on straight floats. I've been an avid boater all my life and I'd enjoyed flying taildraggers, so we decided to get a SeaRey... that was until we discovered the Republic Seabee! We've had the Bee for 10 years this month and have flown from BC to CA, and east to MT. We especially enjoy flying in the company of other seaplanes to remote destinations. If you're ever in the Seattle area, please look us up.
I'm also the current President of the Washington Seaplane Pilot's Association. Each month we put out an email newsletter which I've fashoned after something I produce for those folks interested in the Republic Seabee. Safety will always play a role in our privilege to operate our craft when and where we like. Not only will those that are careless put that in jeopardy, so can the un-informed. I would encourage you to use these forums it's a great place for sharing information. Jason has even created separate forums for geographic areas such as, BC, OR/ID, Washington, Montana and others.
Thank you Jason, I think you've done a great job on it. I know from our telephone conversations, you have experienced the same frustrations that many of us have with SPA's forum. Personally, I really enjoyed it before it was changed. It was actually my home page. Each day I could see what everyone was talking about. It kind of gave me what I called a feeling for the pulse of the seaplane community. After the change at SPA, I found it completely unuseable.
You can do that here! You can automatically log into "View active topics" to see what other seaplane pilots are talking about. So, Jason, thanks for answering our call.
Bee Sea n'ya,
Bruce Hinds
Director at SPA and WA-SPA
Seabee Club Newsletter
link to: Washington Seaplane Pilot's Association
hindsbru
Bronze Wings Member
Bronze Wings Member

Unread postby Torch » Sun May 02, 2010 12:18 pm

My name is Don. I have been flying float planes since the late 1980's. My wife and I own a 1956 Super Cub on Edo 2000's. I like to fly fish for rainbow trout more than anything else. I spend a good portion of my spare time in the summer pursuing that endeavor. I have about 1,200 hours in my Super Cub. We live in Fairbanks and if anyone gets up here I am always ready to go fishing. I am a Flight Service Station worker in Kotzebue, Alaska. We are still empolyed by the government in Alaska and we are now rare as hen's teeth.
Torch
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby marker60 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:40 pm

My name is Mark and I live in Wasilla, Alaska. Last year was my first on floats and what a blast! Flying a Smith SuperCub on EDO 2000s. I'm still a rookie, so I don't stray too far from civilization, but I am hoping to expand my horizons as I get more comfortable with the plane and the areas I like to fly. Lot's of places to choose from in Alaska!
marker60
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby hindsbru » Mon May 03, 2010 4:08 pm

marker60 wrote:My name is Mark and I live in Wasilla, Alaska. Last year was my first on floats and what a blast! Flying a Smith SuperCub on EDO 2000s. I'm still a rookie, so I don't stray too far from civilization, but I am hoping to expand my horizons as I get more comfortable with the plane and the areas I like to fly. Lot's of places to choose from in Alaska!

That's great Mark. Please Tell Todd and Sarah I said Hello when you see them!
Bee Sea n'ya,
Bruce Hinds
Director at SPA and WA-SPA
Seabee Club Newsletter
link to: Washington Seaplane Pilot's Association
hindsbru
Bronze Wings Member
Bronze Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Mon May 03, 2010 5:47 pm

Hi, I'm Bob, Robert or Hey you. Kind of depends what area of the country I'm in. Let's see, I am 61 and due to being a Cancer Survior, I am now flying LSAs. My latest is a 7CCM formely owned by Glenn, who is listed here somewhere. I have been flying since I was 11 and love to fly land, sea and unpowered. Dick Bovey at Argly Flying Service built the Chief that I owned with him an Don Simmons and flew on floats for 4 seasons. I am hoping to find a set of 1400 or 1320s and an STC and get the Champ on floats asap. Then it may be a J-4A on wheels.
I also ride a motorcycle, sail, scuba dive, cook, read a lot, shoot skeet and handguns, and take in a play or movie from time to time.
My Aeronca will be based on N72 - Warwick and I look forward to meeting all of you on some grass field or lake. - Ciao Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby zzfriend » Mon May 03, 2010 7:21 pm

You've heard of the Blue Hole around the San Juan Islands, downwind of the Olympic peninsula, where the dry air pools sometimes when the rest of the Northwest is overcast.

Here it is in person.
zzfriend
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby Dan Gervae » Mon May 03, 2010 9:18 pm

I'm Dan Gervae...Been flying Taildraggers....mostly Cubs and T-Crafts for 25yrs. I have my own 1000' strip in the U.P. of Michigan with a 50x60 hangar...I also live on a lake in Iron River, MI right on the Wisconsin border...25 Miles from Eagle River. I own a 90hp Taylorcraft on Baumann 1500's, an 85hp Taylorcraft, a 65hp Taylorcraft, a J-3 Cub, and another project Taylorcraft...I know...I've got a problem!....Here are a couple of pictures.

Dan Gervae
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby Steve Riggins » Mon May 03, 2010 9:57 pm

Hi, I am a transplanted Illinois farmer, who along with my wife Ellen, immigrated to N-W Ontario three years ago. I still go back south for planting and harvest, but spend the majority of the year playing in the Canadian oudoors. I fish way more than anyone deserves, have a 1980 C185F on Aerocet straight floats for fun and am devoted to exploring as many remote lakes as life allows. If any of you get in the Dryden, Ontario area, stop by and see us.

I will echo what others have said. It is nice to have a usable seaplane oriented forum again. Thank you. Steve Riggins
Steve Riggins
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby Floatflyer » Tue May 04, 2010 9:54 am

I am trying this again and see if it comes out correctly. I am Ford Wilson, a retired General Engineering Contractor that spent 36 yrs in Mammoth Lakes, Ca. Taught skiing for 16 yrs and met my wife on snow. Now spending the summers at Bridge Lake, BC and the winters in Las Barracas, Baja, Mexico.

Have owned an 182, 206, T-210, and now a 185. Straight floats in the summer and wheels in the winter. Love to go remote camping on floats and hate to drive anywhere when I can fly, especially cross country. Fishing, hiking, r/c flying, and reading/relaxing are high on my list.
Attachments
B0000009.JPG
DSCN0488.JPG
Floatflyer
Bronze Wings Member
Bronze Wings Member

Unread postby BGH » Fri May 07, 2010 12:07 am

My name is Daryl Doherty.I've owned my 1970 A185E on cap 3000D floats since 1983.Spent the first 15 years flying my dad around fishing all over British Columbia Canada in return for him doing my maintenance.I spend alternate years on wheels to renew my ifr ticket.I had hoped to be on edo 2790 amphib floats last year but that is another story.
I should add that my wife's name is Diane.
Based at Pitt Meadows BC.
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby dbarthol » Fri May 07, 2010 1:13 pm

Hey there,

Dave Bartholome here. I live up here in the Polson,MT area next to Flathead Lake. A float flying paradise. I'm a retired cop from Los Angeles where I did most of my flying including instructing. After retirement my wife and I moved to Arizona where we started Havasu Seaplane Adventures on Lake Havasu. We provided SES instruction to folks from all over the world using a pristine C172 on Baumann amphibs. Currently I am president of Montana Seaplane Pilots Assoc and am surrounded by great pilots with tons of float plane experience. If you are in the area please stop by and say hi.
dbarthol
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby Sticky1 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:24 am

hindsbru wrote:
marker60 wrote:My name is Mark and I live in Wasilla, Alaska. Last year was my first on floats and what a blast! Flying a Smith SuperCub on EDO 2000s. I'm still a rookie, so I don't stray too far from civilization, but I am hoping to expand my horizons as I get more comfortable with the plane and the areas I like to fly. Lot's of places to choose from in Alaska!

That's great Mark. Please Tell Todd and Sarah I said Hello when you see them!

Better yet, Give Sarah my phone number......
Sticky1
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby Rhyppa » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:53 pm

Russ Hyppa, live on Lake Vermilion in northern MN. Been flying floats for 15 years and have logged a 1000 hours, almost exclusively in lake country of northern MN and northwestern Ontario. Have 1973 C182P with PPONK 0470-50, MT prop, wing extension, and Aerocet straight floats. Previously had a 7AC champ on skis and floats, then a super stinson 108-3 on skis and floats.
Rhyppa
Bronze Wings Member
Bronze Wings Member

Unread postby scruffyy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:37 pm

Seaplane Calendar 2010 08 unembed_Page_01.jpg

Hi... I am Bob Hirshberg and want to say hello to everyone on this site. I am good friends with John Criag who knows everything there is to know about seaplanes and who helps me with my aviation photos. We want to connect with other aviation enthusiast and spend the summers doing seaplane and British Sports car stuff. Connecting with others on this site is going to give us lots of opportunity to do that. We put together a seaplane calendar each year and hope our friends from this site will leads us to more great photos for the calendar. I thank Jason for his time and energy in putting this together and look forward to meeting all of you.

Blue skies!
scruffyy

Unread postby KeithSmith » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:27 pm

Torch wrote:I am a Flight Service Station worker in Kotzebue, Alaska. We are still empolyed by the government in Alaska and we are now rare as hen's teeth.

Thaks for posting that. It was defintely news to me. I didn't know there were ANY FAA FSS folks left.
KeithSmith
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby 9aplus » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:27 am

Hi there... my name is Djani
Our home base during summer is located on island Hvar
see pls http://www.villapepi.net
and during winter in Zagreb 9A
My company http://www.helifor.eu is in rotary wing business but we are
very near some amphibious operation with Be 103.
Will be present on Gidroavia Gelenzik on Black sea from 09.-12. SEP 2010.

Cheers ;)
9aplus
Bronze Wings Member
Bronze Wings Member

Unread postby Steve Riggins » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:04 am

Nice picture. Steve
Steve Riggins
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby billbitt » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:52 am

Hi my name is William Dale so I go by Dale. I am 47 yo retired US Army Officer and Sergeant and was helicopter pilot and computer geek, retired now and I like to travel often to places with beaches and water to swim. Soon I will buy a SeaPlane probably one of the Lake Amphibians in autumn or spring the latest. I have all kinds of ideas for future investment and growth as a pioneer and entrepreneur because I liked Ronald Reagan's visions and I went to a university which specialized in it. I also own a bakery.
Attachments
billsmileFace.jpg
billsmileFace.jpg (9.21 KiB) Viewed 8687 times
billbitt

Unread postby mel-bruce » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:40 pm

Well, I realized that I have yet to introduce myself on this forum. Appologies for a delayed formal introduction.

My name is Melissa Bruce, I am 18 years old and reside in Toledo, OH. I just recently finished up my PPL (passed my checkride August 3rd.) with about 54 total hours. My purpose for getting into aviation is to be a bush pilot for the missions department at my church, which is heavily involved in the Philippine Islands (thus my interest in amphibs). I have yet to "get my feet wet", but hopefully that's not too far off in the future ;) I am a newbie to everything aviation, so bear with me if I ask questions to which the answers are blatantly obvious. I love to read, especially books that have to do with flying, so hopefully that won't happen too often. I love the forum so far, I am finding it to be a great resource. Thank you to everyone that make this forum happen!
Below are a couple pics of me and the airplane I fly. ( a C172SP)

Me & Mike Echo 006.JPG

this is what were flying in.jpg
mel-bruce
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby skip » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:43 pm

Skip I am, living in Florida for the last 60 years. Flying our fourth Lake; 180, 200, 200EP and now 250. Took my private in the Lake and have been flying them for 30 years. Also own a Meyers 200D for cross country flying. Use to have a lake house in central Florida we would commute to but the lake dried up. Exercise the Renegade alternating with the Meyers about once every week. Feel the Lake is connected to my spinal cord but the Meyers humbles me every time I fly it.
skip
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby jjbaker » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:55 pm

Hi & Welcome to the SPF skip! Excuse the total lack of any activity. All seaplane pilots have been deported to Mars.
Maybe someone will write once they get there... and/or someone finds internet access. :lol:
:cry:
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby BGH » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:10 pm

Weather is great - but finding water to land on (here on mars) has been difficult.

Daryl
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:29 pm

I assume it must be dark, up there? Amazing similarities...

jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Next

Return to Seaplane Pilots Welcome & Introductions + NOTAM's