I guess I may as well turn this into a rebuild / repair / tinkering thread.. Not going to be as impressive as some peoples rebuild threads by any means, but it gives me something to do while I am at work and have time to kill..
At the dock after a quick flight to the lodge. Was a great flight and she flew nice and straight. Hauled in 50 gallons of Diesel to them to help hold them over till the water freezes and we can use the sleds to freight in fuel and supplies.
After this flight it was time to pull the plane out of the water as the lake started building ice the next day. The trailer I use for my Avid and the PA 12 was too small for the 180 so it was time to get to building. All the iron came out of scrap piles we have stacked up behind the hangar so it was nothing but time to get it built.
I didnt get any pics of it in the trailer as it was blowing wet snow and rain and we were scrambling to get it inside before we lost all the heat in the hangar.
It took 2 days of parts blaster, home make concoctions and me turning out a tool in the lathe to try and get the damn tail spring out. The cross tube was rusted in SOLID! I ended up cutting the cross tube with a sawzall to get the tail spring out, then we had to carefully split the tube inside the mount to fold it into itself and pound it out of the mount. That was a bugger that help to expand my vocabulary into something any sailor would be damn proud of!
After much going back and forth, we went ahead a humored the IA by putting the 7/8" tail spring back on.. After the annual it will probly take a magic viagra and turn into a 1 1/8" that happens to be hiding on the shelf in the hangar. The gear and wheels came from Denalipilot and look sweet on the old gal. According the the log books and the previous owner, this is the first time since 74 that she has seen wheels.
While we were busy replacing the right hand elevator, servicing the jack screws and putting in new trim cable and chain, the wife spent 3 days up to her arm pits slopping out the belly of 40 yrs worth of dirt, oil and crap build up. It took multiple applications of Stoddard solvent and lots of cussing to get the crap scraped out and cleaned up, but I bet it was close to 10 pounds of crap that came out. 5 full coffee cans of sludge and dirt came out of the belly not to mention what I was able to vacuum out before she went to work on it.
Interior has been stripped and the old ADF system and various other antiquated crap has been removed. I dont have any scales at the hangar, but I am certain 35-40 pounds have come out. We will see how we do when we put it back together and put it on scales for a new WB.
we are thinking of sound proofing and perhaps kydex to take care of the ceiling and aft cabin from the doors back. Extended baggage will be installed as well.