Member Support

• Advertisement
SeaBear Aircraft

Inner tube float jack.

Technical Questions, Know How, Equipment, Tools......

Inner tube float jack.

Unread postby Float Pilot » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:52 pm

I used an inner tube as a jack again. This time wedged between some plywood and the float. It works well. I bought two inner tunes, but since e this is Homer, Alaska,,, one of the new Chinese made inner tubes had multiple holes where it was folded. I big semi truck size or front loader tube would work even better.
Attachments
2011-01-01 037 (1024x768).jpg
Float Pilot
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Re: Inner tube float jack.

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:20 pm

Thanks for posting that. I have a sunkin corner barrel on my dock and you just showed me how to change it

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby Tim McCormack » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:07 am

Necessity is the mother of invention. Some years ago I was greeted with nothing but the flag pole of our 1946 Chris Craft showing above the water when I went to our camp. My brother and I got a few inner tubes and stuffed them under the decks and then used a scuba tank to inflate them. The boat rose to the point where the deck would just break the surface which allowed us the opportunity to get ahead of the inflow of water by using a large trash pump to suck the water out. It then rose from the depths as fast as the pump could drain the water. Worked great.
Tim McCormack
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby White Feather » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:25 pm

I love the way you guys in Alaska always come up with the simplest way to get a job done! No doubt driven by necessity.

I am not sure whether the item I use to jack up my Cessna 182 amphibian in the hangar is available in the New World, but it is designed to lift cars and should be more reliable than an inner tube for repeated use. It makes wheel removal and other regular inspections a bit easier.

Note that it is fitted with a inflation hose that works off a car exhaust, so there is no need to have an air pump or big lungs.

Happy Landings,

WF.
Attachments
Draper 61432 air-jack.jpg
Draper 61432 air-jack.jpg (30.69 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
White Feather
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Return to Technical & Aircraft Talk, Building & Restoration