Member Support

• Advertisement

Typing Up At A Dock Properly Without Bumpers

Technical Questions, Know How, Equipment, Tools......

Typing Up At A Dock Properly Without Bumpers

Unread postby RKittine » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:00 am

Simple solution posted on another Aviation Site (J.J. - I Sent the poster a PM to contact you to join here. dove7)

SIMPLE WAY TO SET AN AIRCRAFT "SPRING" LINE

Not sure if this has been posted, I searched around and did not see on the forum so I thought I would share. And I have not been able to find online anywhere else.

I learned this technique from instructor a number of years ago and it has worked wonders for me as my home dock is not so well situated for my husky on 2100 amphibs and i have no intention of carrying around the extra weight of the bumpers. My instructor called this technique the 'tying standoff".

Step 1
Attach a rope from the float cleats to the dock cleats (if dock cleats are available or secure to the dock) at a distance you would like the floats to sit out from the dock. I usually keep off about 1 1/2 to 2 feet. Try to keep the front and back as even as possible.

Step2
Take a section of rope or tie down from each dock cleat to the top of the wing strut/tie down on the wing, and tighten. As you tighten, you will be pushing the plane and floats away from the dock.

This will allow you to secure the plane without the need for bumpers. This technique has worked every time and does well in windy situations. If you are in an area with heavy traffic I would recommend rope that has some stretch to it.

Hope this helps

Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Typing Up At A Dock Properly Without Bumpers

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:08 pm

Sounds like a good way to bend a spar with big boat waves. I use a couple strong bungees on the lines

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby Tim McCormack » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:52 pm

That's quite ingenious, but I agree one of those rubber anchor line snubbers on each line going to the spar would be important.
Attachments
anchor line snubber.jpeg
Tim McCormack
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:23 pm

Great Modification. I think from the guys post, he was only using this for temporary docking as he did not carry bumpers in the plane.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Technical & Aircraft Talk, Building & Restoration