Member Support

182 should be a different animal soon

Technical Questions, Know How, Equipment, Tools......

182 should be a different animal soon

Unread postby gear » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:26 pm

I pulled the trigger last week and ordered an Airplains IO550 conversion for my 182 c/ w the new Hartzell 8468 3 blade prop. Seaplanes west is doing the mod, along with adding a 400 lb upgross kit. This, with my wing extensions and sportsman STOL should make this a real performer. The 1200 lbs of useful load on floats won't hurt either. Just wondering if there is anyone on this site running a similar set up with an IO550? Just wondering how they like it?
gear
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: 182 should be a different animal soon

Unread postby KlausNW » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:28 am

Sounds like a great way to improve your 182. Keep us informed on the actual performance improvements.

Many of the 182's on floats needed extra weight in the baggage compartment to make them fly and land a little nicer. With that bigger engine I wonder if the plane will act a little more nose heavy?
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KeithSmith » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:16 am

It's an entirely different kind of flying altogether.

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.
KeithSmith
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby gear » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:57 pm

Classic line from Airplane - I love it. I already have a 520 under the hood, with a 3 blade, so although I'll add a bit more, it shouldn't be too different from now. It would be great if the seaplanes west upgross kit was approved with a composite prop - it wouldn't hurt to drop 20 lbs off the nose.
gear
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby gear » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:39 pm

Sorry I haven't given a pirep sooner,...

Got my bird back in May with my new I0-550 and 400 lb upgross kit. What a difference. To be honest, I didn't expect to get the improvement that I have seen. My takeoff roll has been reduced significantly - my guess is about a quarter to a third reduced. When at full gross (1200 lbs) on floats, it has no issue getting off the water - even in hot weather. The prop (hartzell 8468) is obviously matched pretty good to the engine.

My cruise speed seems to be about 2-3 knots faster at the same fuel burn as I was with my O-520 - about 13 gph. I'm running lean of peak there and cruising around 118 knots. When in cruise, even on a hot day, I can easily run with the cowl flaps closed and around 375 F on my hottest cylinder.

All in all, I'm very happy with this mod and I can haul a huge load and remain legal. Next project is the interior.

Garth
gear
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby TriPacer » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:45 am

That's awesome - glad you're enjoying the new engine and performance!
TriPacer
Owner Of The Force
From Minnesota, where men strangle bears and children fly helicopters!
TriPacer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Technical & Aircraft Talk, Building & Restoration