Member Support

• Advertisement

Help Taylorcraft/ Baumann 1500A Flight Manual Supplement

Technical Questions, Know How, Equipment, Tools......

Help Taylorcraft/ Baumann 1500A Flight Manual Supplement

Unread postby jwbaker » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:56 am

I am putting amphibs on my Tcraft due to over development of the area around my ramp. What I need for the feds is a copy of the flight manual supplement for Baumann 1500A's from a Carbon Cub or a Legend Cub. Any help would be appreciated.

Jim
jwbaker
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Help Taylorcraft/ Baumann 1500A Flight Manual Supplement

Unread postby jjbaker » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:46 am

Hi jwb,

Found one for Aerocet and Wips on the CC. Have you tried the TC Foundation?
I know Carl Miller had some experience with the 1500A's, but can't remember where I saw that.

aircraft-flight-manual_r_20140620.pdf
(11.11 MiB) Downloaded 177 times

aircraft-flight-manual-carbon-cub-ss_d_20150415.pdf
(4.12 MiB) Downloaded 238 times

Both float installations are dealt with in Section 9 Supplements.

Got a question out to CC to see if they can help.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby jwbaker » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:05 am

Thanks Jason. The Aerocet float supplement looks good but one for Baumann 1500A work be the best. No modification to the document.

Jim
jwbaker
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:17 am

I see. Lets wait what the CC people come back with. I hope we'll be able to solve this right here, with our own members.

Klaus may have some info + we "Seaplane Baker's" have to stick together. :acute:
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby jjbaker » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:01 pm

Information request now pending with the Legend Cub people.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby KlausNW » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:23 am

Ya know, Baumann did not stay around for very long after they developed the 1500A's. I'll ask around but, most of my friends don't like buying anything new.

http://baumannfloats.com/

I don't even know if this address and phone number are working:

121 Airport Rd,

New Richmond, WI 54017

(715) 246-9352

Aero-News Mon, Mar 28, 2011 article:
http://aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&ID=99132325-3624-4117-A48F-57B8AF23522F

Baumann Floats Succumbs To The Economy
Assets Being Transferred To Basler Turbo Conversions In Oshkosh

While there are signs of recovery in the economy, at least for some larger aviation businesses, you don't have to look very far to realize that many companies are still struggling, and not all are surviving.

A case in point is an e-mail that was forwarded to ANN Friday concerning Baumann Floats. In the e-mail, general manager Joe Birkemeyer says the company is folding its tent.

Birkemyer writes: "Due to the unfortunate economic conditions we have all faced in the past couple of years, our current owner of Baumann Floats LLC has decided to discontinue production of all of our float models. The equipment, design data, STC's and inventory will be relocated over to Oshkosh, WI and placed with Basler Turbo Conversions LLC. I personally as well as the rest of my crew will not be moving over to Oshkosh with the company and we will no longer be employed by Baumann Floats LLC.

"Randy Myers, head of production at Basler Turbo Conversions will be the new interim contact person for any parts orders from April, 1, 2011 on. I realize that many of you have invested significant amounts of hard earned money into your airplanes by purchasing and equipping your planes with floats from Baumann Floats LLC. It is my sincere hope that there will be continued customer support addressed in a timely fashion for parts and products manufactured by Baumann Floats LLC.

"I would like to thank you personally for all of your support and commitment you have given me and Baumann Floats over the past years. Through your patronage we have been able to bring a great aircraft float design to the market and we could not have done it with out your commitment and enthusiasm. I have been extremely fortunate to meet the majority of my customers face to face and have been able to experience some great seaplane flying adventures along the way. I have been truly blessed with the opportunity of providing Baumann Floats to the aviation community and it has been my pleasure to serve you over the past 10 years as General Manager of Baumann Floats LLC."

http://www.baslerturbo.com/
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:28 pm

Yeah, we covered the Baumann story here.

I'd contact the TCF and see if they have some resources.
Sure thing someone out there flies this particular setup and has gone through the hassle.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby jwbaker » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:41 am

Randy Meyers, at Basler, has been told by the lawyers that no Baumann float info or parts will be given or sold unless some one purchases the operation for a very high price. End of that story. What I need is to find a Carbon Cub or Legend Cub owner with 1500A's who will make me a copy of the flight manual supplement covering the floats. Any help would be surely appreciated.

Jim Baker
jwbaker
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:13 am

I tried talking to Basler after the sale and got the same kind of response.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:40 pm

What a way to take Baumann Floats down and piss off people who own these floats. Stupid.
Anyhow, I'd still try to get in touch with the Taylorcraft Foundation, or make the effort to edit one of the other Flight Manual Supplements.

Have you tried to contact CC and LC yourself, Jim?
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby jwbaker » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:31 pm

I have Baumann 1500 straight floats on the plane now and I'm sure I can modify something that will work but being old and lazy, I'm just looking to copy the real thing. I'll try to find an owner who may help me out. I've talked to LC people and of course they want lots of money.

Jim
jwbaker
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:17 pm

jwbaker wrote:I have Baumann 1500 straight floats on the plane now and I'm sure I can modify something that will work but being old and lazy, I'm just looking to copy the real thing. I'll try to find an owner who may help me out. I've talked to LC people and of course they want lots of money.

Jim

Good luck, Jim! Sorry we couldn't jump on the horse. Just not enough CC or LC people here.
If you do find something, please send it to me too, so we can share it as a resource down the road.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby jjbaker » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:44 pm

Jim, Surprise!
Check your EMAIL. ;-)
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby jwbaker » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:16 pm

I picked up the 1500A's last week so now I have to wait for the Feds to approve the installation. I've got until next year. I was at Oshkosh at the same time and talked to the Carbon Cub people. They had a new CC with Aerocet amphibs that could be mine for the small sum of $275,000. I declined but it was already sold. A lot of money for a marginal improvement in performance over my F21. It was a lot shinier though. Thanks for all the help from the forum. My 1500 straights and launch trailer will be for sale at the end of the seasom.

Jim

Taylorcraft F21
Baumann amphibs?
Trickair skis.
jwbaker
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:11 pm

Jim, my friend Douten in Maine put his Pa11 in the Ex catagory while on 1500As. Got a field approval after a couply years. I got his # If you want to chat

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jwbaker » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:47 am

Glenn,

If you could PM his phone number to me, that would be great.

Jim
jwbaker
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Technical & Aircraft Talk, Building & Restoration