Member Support

• Advertisement

Cessna 206 rope grab lines.

Technical Questions, Know How, Equipment, Tools......

Cessna 206 rope grab lines.

Unread postby Mikey » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:08 pm

Hi

Who can help me set up the rope grab lines on the wings of my Cessna 206.
I guess we have one from the tie down ring up on the top strut attach. How long should it be so it won't beat about the place.

I see ones near the wingtips, how exactly are they attached to the airframe and how long should they be too?

Thanks
Mike.
Mikey
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Re: Cessna 206 rope grab lines.

Unread postby akavidflyer » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:33 pm

I can't tell you exact lengths but can offer a word of advice.

A buddy of mine is a 15,000+ hour float pilot here in AK, he has flown for many of the guide outfits. A few years ago he was on a trip through lake clark pass and hit a little moderate turbulence in a turbine otter.. one which he has many many hours in. One gust hit him JUST right and the rope on the wing flipped up and got caught in the aileron. He was barely able to keep wings level using rudder and a bit of a crab till he got to a lake and was able to set it down and cut the ropes. These ropes of this length had been on the plane for many many years without any issues, but that one time and the set of circumstances that even Vegas would not give you odds on was enough to damn near take out 10 people in a pretty narrow mountain pass.

I have since cut mine down to a length that the rope can't flop up into the ailerons or flaps no matter what. That should still give you enough length for the dock handlers to grab them.

:beer:
Leonard Perry
Avid C Heavy Hauler
Avid Amphibian

"I would rather die trying to live, than live trying not to die"
akavidflyer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby BGH » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:18 pm

I have not used wing grab lines on our 185, use lines tied around the struts instead. Everyone seems to be able to reach them as I come to the dock without problems.
While in flight they sit nicely on the float without flopping around.
Daryl
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Mikey » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:10 am

Hi.
Thanks for the comments, but I probably wasnt clear enough.
Presume I know nothing about float flying yet, I'm still rebuilding my Cessna 206.
So the lines to the top strut fitting ( tie down ring) make them any length I like , but not longer than the rear spar, and they will sit ok and not flap about?
For anyone with lines near the wingtips, I here you about aileron interference but what are they attached too,the 180/185 will be much the same I guess.
They couldn't just be attached to a screw that holds the wingtip on are they?
Or is there some extra riveted structure inside the wing?

Thanks
Mike
Mikey
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby jjbaker » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:41 am

Mikey,

The tie down ring on the attachment point between strut and wing is where most grab-lines are attached. That's the designated tie down spot.
AFAIK those connect to the spar. Some outfits sell nylon ropes for $15.00 a pair. I haven't seen ropes attached to the wingtip nor have I seen the rings installed all the way out there. Whatever is attached to the wingtip itself (held by small screws) is destined to be in the good company of a wingtip, with the rest of the airplane floating wherever it wants to float. Maybe a picture would help.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby KlausNW » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:40 am

You might be asking about an eye strap. Use an existing wingtip screw and add another nut plate to hold a second screw. You don't want anything too heavy duty holding on your wingtip rope. If the rope gets caught in brush or someone tries to manhandle the plane with the wingtip rope it needs to break free before it causes real damage.

I'm very leery adding wing ropes because the folks on the docks will think they're helping you by grabbing them and putting your float bows into the dock. Once your bow is forced into the dock your stern will go out putting the airplane perpendicular and drifting out of control.
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Technical & Aircraft Talk, Building & Restoration