Member Support

Cessna 206 engine mount/ firewall.

Technical Questions, Know How, Equipment, Tools......

Cessna 206 engine mount/ firewall.

Unread postby Mikey » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:46 am

Hi
I'm rebuilding/restoring my Cessna 206f and then putting it back on floats.
It's been a floatplane , operated commercially since 1975.
It's badly beat up / cracked/ bent in the engine mount firewall connect area.
It's what I knew when I purchased the project and I'm replacing both the engine mount keel beams, lower firewall and most of the tunnel area structure.
Does anyone know of any beef up mods I should be doing in that area while I have the whole front apart?
I am installing the twin front mounts already.

Mike
Mikey
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Re: Cessna 206 engine mount/ firewall.

Unread postby KlausNW » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:49 am

Get a hold of these guys. This is a very good modification to increase overall durability and longevity. :

http://truatlantic.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Cessna_Smoothride_Engine_Mount_System.pdf

Most all the commercial 206's have upgraded to this modification because of all the benefits. Later if you decide to install the 310 horsepower IO-550-N engine this mod is required.

http://truatlantic.com/capabilities/stcpma/
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Mikey » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:20 pm

Hi.
I've already got that kit and I'm installing it. I'm more talking about around the firewall/engine mount tunnel area.
I realise my aircraft has had a pretty hard life , and I'll have all that area back to factory soon but I was wondering if there is any beef ups for that general firewall junction where the keel beams go through.
The engine is only really supported by the lower cowl and that forward tunnel area, as the aircraft pounds when on floats that area must get a very hard time.
The 206 lacks a tube mount that goes to the top of the firewall ( like the other cessnas) .

I guess once it's all back to new I would be ok as it's not going to do nearly the same amount of work with me

Mike
Mikey
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby KlausNW » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:30 pm

That's the only modification I've heard of. I saw you pointed out the "twin front mounts". Just wanted the spectators to see what you were talking about.

On the couple of Cessna 206's on floats that I work on that have nearly 6000 hours on the "Smooth Ride Engine Mount" STC and "IO-550-N 310 HP" STC, they are holding up nicely.
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Technical & Aircraft Talk, Building & Restoration