Member Support

Technical Questions, Know How, Equipment, Tools......

Unread postby 46cubby » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:46 pm

Yes yet another newbie! I have owned a 1946 J3C65 with a C85-8 and climb prop. I also had a friend move south basically make me buy a huge amount of parts of which includes a beautiful set of EDO 1400 rigged for a J3. I am wondering what kind of hassle I am going to run into mounting them on the Non (s) J3. at last annual IA replaced all my aileron cables with SS. the next we are going to replace the rest with SS. He says he uses SS whenever he has to replace them floats or not. I know I"ll need the Bungee but will I hit a wall with the feds,,, It it is too much of a hassle I'll sell them or build up and experimental which is also on the bucket list since I have almost everything except an Airframe and a few wing parts,engine parts etc.

Thanks sorry for the long first post
46cubby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Newbie

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:17 pm

Welcome. Should not be that big of a deal. We installed 1320s on my J4 10 years ago and just needed a new W&B. Galvanized cables work just fine and are more flexible.

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby 46cubby » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:01 am

I was under the impression that SS was a requirement for float planes, but I have never owned any. I do know the Galv. is more flexible but like I say I couldn't really go against what the IA was doing. He does let me do a lot and supervises closely not just after the fact. I have been working on AC for awhile. I worked for a part 135 outfit logging time for my OJT A&P license but other than hand propping the owners< Old Timer buddies plane for him whenever he flew in from the bush we never worked on Cubs. I worked for Dan's AC before that for a short while but that was only because I could paint and didn't get a chance to turn many wrenches. I admit I like to work as much as fly. Also the J3 is my first plane. I am still training in it from the CFI I bought it from and I am giving myself a couple years to get experience Before i start thinking about actually using these floats. Until then I will fully practice FPAS (Float Part Acquisition Syndrome) especially since they are 1400s ! I have to admit I have a great CFI from day one he has taught me in the bush. knocked off my first gravel bar at our 11, I don't know if I was scared or what best it was the best landing I ever had up to that point. Wheel landings came quick and the plane just feels like a glove. It has the PA-11 left wing tank plus nose tank. I am planning on taking some time this spring to travel to the lower 48 to one of the outfits that have J3s and specialize in the LSA market. I have access to one of the best Dope and Fabric guys around this Summer so I may have the Atlee Dodge fittings attached for later. I have read on other threads that there are J3c-65 non(s) that are on 1400's just not sure of the hassles.
Thanks for the reply
Warren
46cubby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Bill Rusk » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:03 am

Warren

Welcome on board!!. I don't think you will have a problem. Perhaps in the lower 48 but certainly not in AK. Like you said you have all the resources in the world there, and Birchwood is a great place. The biggest problem you will have is useful load. Watch the weight.

Keep us posted on your progress.......sounds like you have a pretty good start.

Best regards

Bill
Very Blessed.
Bill Rusk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:45 am

Welcome Warren - Nice to have you on the forum.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby 46cubby » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:27 pm

Thanks for the welcomes.

I know most J3's are on 1320s but these came along with a PILE of parts even a spare tail section with Vertical stab and trim system also 3 of the coveted 25x11x4 tires in unbelievable condition along with PATCH-LESS tubes, I swear they look like they were never mounted also brake parts, landing gear with 1 1/4" axles and more brakes, the 3 wheels have the brake hubs again like new!

Actually the guy had already moved and had this stuff at a friends home and now he is moving, so it was sell it cheap and fast or pay storage, we all know how that goes. You pay and pay until the crap in the locker is worth less than it's value, And storage here is crazy. Some Anal Andy built new hangers at lake Hood and wants 1500.00+ a month to hanger a cub! I noticed they are mostly still empty.

Just as well Anchorage is like going to LA or worse now, a killing a week and gangs from every corner of the earth and its going to get worse. Lower 49 drug dealers and locals are gearing up for their big pot growing state they think is going to make them rich. As for the J3 I am trying to keep it light as I can. It already took a hit with the PA11 wing tank the C85-8 ,metal Sensi climb prop, Atlee long Step, Safety Cables and big wheels ( big for 1946 not ABW big) even with my 239# instructor in the back it is a rocket getting off the ground I am only 152#.

I would love to get together with some of the other J3 owners here as well as Champs and others in the <100HP class on floats here.

IMG_1219-2.JPG
46cubby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:11 pm

Welcome Aboard Warren,
There seems to be more and more of these good project buys. I think since the J3 is still in the project stage you should build it up as a Home Built. The experience will count towards your A&P and you'll have an aircraft that can be easier and cheaper to modify.

Southeast, AK has some of the worst corrosion conditions, we only use stainless steel cables everything else corrodes out in less than 5 years... and that's on wheel planes. The first thing I would do is get the drawings for the J3 seaplane and higher horsepower then modify the fuselage before fabric. Once you start flying off rough strips you'll be to busy flying to finish modifying. Your skill level flying will improve very rapidly once you fly everyday. Just get her done right before she flies.
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby 46cubby » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:25 pm

I think I may know you, do you remember Dave Wunch and Tony Westbrook she was the Juneau Forest Ranger that posed in Playboy mid 80's. Dave own Alaska Coastal Airways and had the twin Beech on floats before he sold it and went to work for the FAA in Seattle.
46cubby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby 46cubby » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:31 pm

That pic is on the Yenta River it was my first gravel bar and I think around 13 hours CFI took me and my J3 out for a fun day it is just north of Heweitt Lake. The old timer across the river said it was the first time a plane had used it as this was the lowest water in 32 years he has been there. It was my best landing yet! This is the plane I bought that was built 8-21-46
Almost got up yesterday but Willow was fogged in until after I left.
WW
46cubby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:43 pm

46cubby wrote:I think I may know you, do you remember Dave Wunch and Tony Westbrook she was the Juneau Forest Ranger that posed in Playboy mid 80's. Dave own Alaska Coastal Airways and had the twin Beech on floats before he sold it and went to work for the FAA in Seattle.

Yeah, I worked for Dave as he handed Alaska Coastal keys over to Brownie and ran off to the dark side.

That was the good ol' days....Tony was the original "Women in Waders".

This is not Tony but she can be found in your old copy of Playboy.
http://www.calendars.com/Women-in-Waders-Wall-Calendar/prod201500003003/

Ya know,... 'waders' are essential for salt water beach operations, so waders are a Seaplane topic. Nothing wrong with these young ladies doing demos of the merchandise.
:fishing:
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:54 pm

I always kept Stocking Foot Waders in the back of my Chief and wore Aqua Socks to fly in, which work well with them. My seaplane vest doubled as a Fly Fishing Vest along with a 5 piece fly rod and gear all packed in the back.

BUT, I never looked like that, in or out of my waders! :beer:

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:59 pm

The first thing that catches your eye, those waders have a much lighter weight material and the soft sole boot that can help feel the rocks.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:39 pm

That was a little farther down the list for me! :beer:
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby 46cubby » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:01 am

I ran the Horse and Buggy with Tony. The big Mckenzie River Malamute she posed with was mine.

I also worked for Pat Bergman owner of the Barrett Hotel and Greens Creek Goldmine with Soderberg Logging and Construction during the build up stage . Earned enough that year to make my way to Anchorage then on to Dutch Harbor. Last I seen them was on their new yacht docked next to the Wood Boat Center in Seattle, and yea Dave had already gone over to the dark side. For those that don't know that old saying "when you can't make it in Aviation anymore you go to work for the FAA". I can still hear him say that.

Man, I got stories about those days. Like Harvey Hildrey, Pelican, Martini row on and on. That was the Summer I"ll never forget, everyday a new Cruise ship full of gals not to mention working with Tony was a hoot! I got a photo of the twin beech on floats from the backseat of the Oldsmobile we used to drive out to the float plane lake. I heard the new owners flipped that plane in the lake . I've always wondered if it is the one at the Museum on Lake Hood.
46cubby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Technical & Aircraft Talk, Building & Restoration