Member Support

• Advertisement

Marine VHF radio

Technical Questions, Know How, Equipment, Tools......

Marine VHF radio

Unread postby Mikey » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:48 am

Hi.
I'm doing my radio install etc on my rebuild project.
Who has a Marine VHF installed?
What model did you use , a Can you get a model without the front speaker and perhaps that's the same width as normal aircraft radios so it will fit in the stack nicely?

Thanks
Mike
Mikey
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Re: Marine VHF radio

Unread postby Stevesbrother » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:07 pm

We had them in the caravans , loved em. They were all different as I remember. You might look at West Marine website and see individual radio specs. Ours were wired thru the comm panel worked great! Most seem to be narrower and thicker than AV radio rack. Nice if u can have them on batt bus so they can be hot without turning on everything else.
"Still dreaming and hoping to die young at heart with a bar room story that will close the place"
Stevesbrother
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:39 pm

A handheld can be wired into the audio panel also. I've mounted an antenna on the belly, put a power wire to a circuit breaker and a metal bracket. I like handhelds, you can take them out in the skiff or standing out in the middle of the stream fly fishing.
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:10 am

I always keep a Hand Held VHF Marine Radio on board. ICOM makes panel mount ones, but they are expensive compared to the consumer brands out there at places like West Marine.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:34 am

I don't see a need unless your operating out of someplace like the harbor in Seattle

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:38 pm

cubdriver2 wrote:I don't see a need unless your operating out of someplace like the harbor in Seattle

Glenn

Every plane flying over the coastal waters should have one. I can't tell you how many times the marine radio in an aircraft monitoring channel 16 helped a boater, hiker or hunter out.

Even if you're flying a wheel plane a boater can get into a conversation and coordinate for more fuel, engine repairs, a medical issue or just more supplies. Many times when you're out away from civilization you can have issues that don't require the Coast Guard.
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:26 pm

Glenn,

When you land on Saratoga Lake, you can call all those hot honey's in their bikinis over to see your Cub buy using a Marine radio. They aren't monitoring the airband I am sure! :beer:

Dick, Don and I added almost $6,000 to the cost of the Chief, when we added the Bender German Minature, TSOed NavCom and Transponder, and in all the time I owned part of that plane, I can not remember once needing to turn either of them on.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Stevesbrother » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:46 pm

I used mine when we found the Cozy Crashed north of mattatuck inlet a couple years ago. Easier to contact CG and coordinate local PD and FD. Also handy to hail boaters and wardens
"Still dreaming and hoping to die young at heart with a bar room story that will close the place"
Stevesbrother
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Technical & Aircraft Talk, Building & Restoration