Member Support

Installing a Selkirk Interior

Technical Questions, Know How, Equipment, Tools......

Installing a Selkirk Interior

Unread postby gear » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:38 pm

Hello,

I'm considering a Selkirk interior for my 182. A few questions. Can I install legally myself? How difficult is it? I'm thinking of doing the panels and floor, but no headliner. I've never done anything like this before and am just curious if this is something I should be attempting? I'm also considering the baggage extension but realize I need a certified guy for that.

If anyone has ever done it, sharing your experience would be appreciated.

Thx.

Garth
gear
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Installing a Selkirk Interior

Unread postby BGH » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:51 am

I ordered the parts for in front of the doors for the 185 from Selkirk & let my mechanic install them because I didn't have the time to trim them to fit for a proper installation.If I had the time I could of done them myself as I don't believe that they require a sign off after installation.If you have the time & the tools to trim the fiberglass parts to fit correctly I believe that with patience you will be able to accomplish a great job,even the headliner isn't that hard to install properly.When I installed the parts I also changed all the soundproofing in the interior.
Measure twice,check fit,cut once.

Daryl
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby BGH » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:59 am

duplicate post.

Daryl
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby gear » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:53 pm

I think I'll give er a whirl. I'm hoping to semi retire at the end of this year, so I should have some time this winter.
gear
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:23 am

I like the Selkirk interior products. It's good you are going to give yourself time to install the panels. The more time and patience the better it looks. That's kinda true with all cosmetic improvements.

If you're replacing the headliner get a wool headliner. I really like the look and durability of real wool headliners.
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Mikey » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:31 am

Hi.
I'm doing it rite now on my cessna 206.
They do take a bit of mucking around to get to fit nicely.
I got the cream sides and the white window surrounds.
Make sure you get the samples and look at them before you order, the Mocha color looks good on a sample and in the web but it's quite pink. The cream colour is almost a light tan, and that's good with my seats and armrests.
It's all covered by an STC so that's just a small paperwork issue to keep it legal in the books.
I would ask your certified engineer if you can fit it yourself ( under their supervision) as it does take a while, lots of thinking before any trimming/cutting. They are easy to crack/ bust if you force them.
You'll need to trim/sand the edges of most of the panels and most likely need a heat gun or booing water to soften the fiberglass for a better fit here and there.
For some reason they could not supply the plastic white moulding that I have got and put around the trim where it nearly touches the windows, looks heaps better than black and finishes it off nicely.

All up though it's a good product and far nicer thank the old cloth stuff I removed.
Also if you need any help call them ,

Mike
Mikey
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby gear » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:58 pm

Any "guesses" on how long a complete interior would take to replace (excluding headline) in terms of hours considering I'm a novice?
gear
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Mikey » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:48 am

Hi.
You would want to allow a week.
Heck it will take the best part of a full day to remove the seats/doors/ and old interior kit.
Or do it bit by bit,if you don't mind it not matching while you go.
Its quite time consuming and fiddly around the doors and windows.
They give you a method to go by- where to start first.
And let's presume you have no rust/ crorossion to fix behind the panels and you arnt going to sort the sound proofing out too?
You could do the door panels as a starting point?
Then the side kick panels up beside the rudder bar- but this will lead into does your wind lacing strip need to be replaced while your there?
That gives you a good idea before you do the tricker window surrounds.
Have a careful look at the pictures of your aircraft on the website - will you need /want to paint around the door and frame where the kit doesnt cover?
I'm replacing all those horrid self tapping screws with proper anchor nuts and machine screws.
When you go to Find the holes behind the panel-here's a tip.
Get a screw and sharpen it to a point on both ends, screw it into the hole,hold the panel up ( to exactly where you worked out it should go previously ) and give it a hit with your hand, the sharpened screw will mark the rear of the panel to show you where to drill

Send me your email and I'll send you some pictures of how I'm getting on.
Its worth the effort though, mines going to look very nice.

Mike
Mikey
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby gear » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:06 pm

Great info Mike. I'll pm you my email address.

Garth
gear
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Paul Jackson » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:36 pm

We are looking at install on an interior for a Beaver restoration. In talking it through my mechanic had a valid point. He said that we won's be soundproofing this one due to the noise cancelling headset technology. In our case this gets us critical weight as the Beaver uses quite a bit of soundproofing. I hadn't thought of this but to be honest I usually have Lightspeeds for every seat in most of my airplanes. The new technology may make soundproofing unneeded and redundant and frankly just dead weight.

Food for thought.

PJJ
Paul Jackson
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby BGH » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:17 am

Although not as large as a beaver,my 185 required under 10 lbs of soundproofing to cover the interior.We also use Bose noise cancelling headsets for the front seats & David Clark for the occasional rear passengers.

Daryl
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Mikey » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:45 am

I much agree, that's why all my original cessna soundproofing has been removed. Plus I had to get rid of that horrid black lead stuff they stuck to the skins. I got away without the corrosion issues but I've seen a few bad ones from it.
The rest of the stuff cessna fitted really isn't up to much. The best complete system to refit however weighs 80lb all up, it's ment to 1/2 the noise at speech level inside the cabin tho. But as I'm fitting floats etc I'm not risking fitting it until I get the rebuild finished and across the scales. I've already added to the empty weight with the sportsman kit, wing extensions,wip copilot door and the better tailplane.
Mike
Mikey
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Return to Technical & Aircraft Talk, Building & Restoration