Member Support

• Advertisement

Aerocet Yaw

Technical Questions, Know How, Equipment, Tools......

Aerocet Yaw

Unread postby gear » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:28 pm

So my 182 flies straight as an arrow on wheels and the Yaw trim wheel is dead centre. When I put my plane on Aerocet floats, I needed to run the wheel out quite a bit to the right to keep the ball in the middle. When I drop the rudders in the air, the ball swings over to the left. According to my mechanic, the rudders aren't perfectly straight and lined up with the rudder and that's the problem. Since the Aerocet floats do not have adjustable cables, he is proposing to cut in a turnbuckle on the cable to now make it adjustable and we should be able to fix the problem.

This make sense to anyone? Is it that easy?

Garth
gear
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Aerocet Yaw

Unread postby BGH » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:18 am

My 185 on cap 3000 needed about half right rudder trim,dad made a few adjustments to the water rudders & found slight toe in of both water rudders provided the best results in the air.The cable connects to the water rudders all had turnbuckles on them.Trim is dead centre when on wheels.Lots of authority in the air back there.

Daryl
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:53 am

I had similar problems with the dual water rudders on my 1400s. Adjustments to the rigging of floats and rudders, got everything back as it should have been.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:52 am

So..........Garth, you got caught flying with your rudders down and you made this whole story up because your too cheap to buy beer. Shameful.

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:58 am

Or your floats aren't parallel with the plane. Think about it, if they were off centerline the water rudders would trim one way up and the opposite way when down?

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby gear » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:25 am

cubdriver2 wrote:So..........Garth, you got caught flying with your rudders down and you made this whole story up because your too cheap to buy beer. Shameful.

Glenn

:shock: busted!! It did happen once, and I didn't buy the guy a case of beer although every time I hear him on air we discuss it!.....

I think the floats are straight but I suppose I'm not positive of that. I'll try the easy fix first (turnbuckle) and we'll see

Garth
gear
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby akavidflyer » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:53 pm

A buddy of mine had this same issue with his PA12 on Edos. The IA he had working on the plane was convinced the wings were out of rig and spent all day dorking around with them. I went out and took her for a turn around the patch and played with the water rudders in the air (putting them down then up again) like you, when down she was fine, when up it pulled to the left. 10 minutes with a tape and a straight edge adjusting the turnbuckles on the water rudders and she flys straight as an arrow, then I had to re-rig the wings to get the roll straightened out that the IA had screwed up.
Leonard Perry
Avid C Heavy Hauler
Avid Amphibian

"I would rather die trying to live, than live trying not to die"
akavidflyer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Technical & Aircraft Talk, Building & Restoration