Member Support

Reversible propellor

Technical Questions, Know How, Equipment, Tools......

Reversible propellor

Unread postby Mikey » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:34 am

Hi.
I'm looking at an MT reversible prop for my Cessna 206 project.
The concept of a tough non eroding leading edge has huge appeal, as does the lighter weight.

Who has a reversible prop and what do you think of it.......

Thanks
Mike
Mikey
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Re: Reversible propellor

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:16 am

Real seaplane pilots don't need no stinkin prop with reverse :cowwave:

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:39 am

That is what Paddle are for! :beer:

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Mikey » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:34 am

Hi, I don't pretend to be a real pilot of any kind, seaplane or not.
But a Cessna 206 at 3800lb and a 15kt day I'm not quite sure what I'm surposed to do with the paddle, at best it will be dam hard work, but more likely useless.
So it seems like a good idea to me.
Does anyone have/use one?

Rgds
Mike.
Mikey
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby jjbaker » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:20 am

Not anyone on this forum, unless you're talking to the folks who fly Turbine Otters and are too much of a real pilot to post here.
Check with the SPA. The expensive crowd and all the real seaplane experts hang out there. ;)

Aviat produced a near 5 minute video but so far I haven't seen user-reports or anything like it. I'd be disturbed by the water-spray.

jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:26 am

Hey Mike,

You will need to get used to the humor that you will find on this site. Glenn did not mean that you would not be a real pilot with a reversible prop and I for sure was only joking about paddling in that size aircraft. I thought of installing a bracket on the struts of my Chief when I owned it (If I did not put the When I Owned It - I would see a post from Glenn as to that isn't your Chief anymore - get the picuture! :dance: ) and having a little electric trolling motor to help in moving the plane around when it was not pointed in the right direction to taxis. Being able to put it in Reverse would be great.

J.J. is probably right, there may be more guys on the SPA site with information on reversable props as they are the ones that can afford $55.00 dues.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:54 am

RKittine wrote:Hey Mike,

J.J. is probably right, there may be more guys on the SPA site with information on reversable props.

Bob

Except, they don't talk a lot now, do they? Why not do your critical confined area landings uphill and be done with it?
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:13 pm

The difference between a land pilot and a seaplane pilot is handling a moving runway and taxiway. Flying the aircraft is the same for both except when your a land pilot your not judged at how well you park the airplane, seaplane pilot and most of the skill or luck is coming and going from the dock is whats important to your passengers or those watching. I see a lot of 206s coming and going in the Adirondacks and Maine without the luxury of being able to back up on some really windy days. I think it would be a cool tool to have on any floatplane but pilots have been flying floats now for 100 years without that benefit and do just fine docking. There are still a bunch of us flying floats without a starter and it gets real interesting some days hand propping and then jumping into a moving floatplane at a busy dock. Sailing and figuring out a safe way to dock with current and wind fighting you are part of the experience. A safe way to sharpen your docking skills is to practice on a buoy away from shore so if you miss you don't hurt anything.
I know, not what you want to hear, and a prop with a brake would be great tool on a floatplane as long as it always works. I watched one Seabee who thought his prop had gone into reverse add power thinking he was going to stop and go backwards drive forward into his friends beached Seebee and damage both planes. If he had had a fixed pitch prop he would have used a different strategy to beach his Seebee then the one that put him too close to his friends plane relying on something mechcanical to save him instead of his skills.
I think there was a C170 at Greenville with a reversible prop a few years ago? Let us know if you find something

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:46 pm

I guess Glenn was being more serious then I had thought.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:03 pm

RKittine wrote:I guess Glenn was being more serious then I had thought.

Bob

No different then you wanting a starter and then discovering you didn't need one.

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:36 pm

I was under the impression that you had added a starter to your J-4. I know that Bob Everts did to his. I never got the 7CCM on floats and therefore have never experienced hand propping on floats. No problem on wheels with the Champ though.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:01 am

Lets stick to reversible propellers. ;-)

Exhaustive essay by Glenn. Longest text ever!

:cowwave:
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:22 am

RKittine wrote:I was under the impression that you had added a starter to your J-4. I know that Bob Everts did to his. I never got the 7CCM on floats and therefore have never experienced hand propping on floats. No problem on wheels with the Champ though.

Bob

My J4 came with a starter, generator and all the fixins. I took them all off, saved almost 50lbs. I like Armstrong starters.

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:15 am

My Hero!
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:37 am

I can't afford shooting 357 anymore, I'd have to sell a plane to afford 44 Mag rounds

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:32 am

Lets stick to reversible propellers. Reversible propellers. Reversible propellers.

Did I mention that this topic was about reversible propellers?

Oh look, a Squirrel!
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:46 am

If he buys Bob's model 29 and shoots the prop a few times it will be reversible.

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Return to Technical & Aircraft Talk, Building & Restoration