Member Support

Blue Angles Boss Greg McWherter Retires

Share global news about seaplanes here...

Blue Angles Boss Greg McWherter Retires

Unread postby jjbaker » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:20 am

A MESSAGE FROM BOSS McWHERTER:
(June 12, 2015)

Greeting friends!

I hope this finds everyone doing well and enjoying the early weeks of summer! As is the trend for yours truly, my posts are few, far between, and long overdue. With that said, we have been quite busy over the past few months (like all of you I'm sure) and really wanted to take a short moment to update you on a couple of things.

First and foremost, THANKS SO MUCH for the very kind responses to my earlier post! We are humbled, yet again, by your heartfelt support and continue to feel so blessed to have folks like you in our corner!

As a few of you know, we were informed a few weeks ago that I would be retiring from the Navy. While this is a wonderful development for my family and I, both personally and professionally, the news certainly gives me a reason to reflect on the past 25 years. I would be lying if I said Carrier Aviation and the mission of our Naval Service weren't important to me...they were, are, and always will be. And yes, the flying was a blast. But my memories aren't filled with catapult launches, arrested landings, missions, and air shows. It's filled with faces and names...those people that I was privileged enough to meet, know, and work alongside over the course of two and a half decades. Women, men, civilian, military, officer and enlisted; just the most amazing collection of human beings who did much, asked for little, and taught me more than you can imagine every single day. We were blessed indeed with this opportunity and can't thank these people enough!

For those who may be interested, we will be having a retirement ceremony on 27 June (1 pm) at the National Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola. I know this is short notice, but hopefully some of you will find yourselves in the local area in late June. Either way, all friends are welcome...no invitation required.

I would like to close by asking you to keep a buddy of mine in your thoughts and prayers. Mike Webb, the indomitable "Vols Fan", was the epitome of all that is good in people...kind, humble, and giving. On my best day, I still fall short of the standard he set. Mike will be missed.

Regards,
Boss McWherter

Source: Facebook

Those of you who may remember the witch hunt mounted against Boss McWherter may find this tribute posted for him on May 16 quite refreshing:

Today is Armed Forces Day...a day when all Americans should come together and thank our military members for their patriotic service in support of our country. So THANK YOU to all of the men and women who currently serve our country in one of the armed services...and of course, THANK YOU to all of our veterans out there.

And now I'll zero in on one military member in particular...the person this page is dedicated to...CAPT. GREG McWHERTER. Thank you, Boss, for dedicating more than 20 years of your life to protecting our country through your service in the U.S. Navy. You, my friend, are an amazing person. The accomplishments you've achieved in your career are far too many to list here. All one needs to do is scroll down this page to see the incredible number of men and women in the Navy and other services who point to you as their role model, mentor, and friend. I've lost count of the number of Navy personnel who have contacted me, wanting to reach out to you to privately for advice and guidance, or to just say thank you for everything you've done for them. That's the story that never made the press.

When one poisoned pill tried, unsuccessfully, to destroy you and your career, you showed the entire world what Gregory A. McWherter is made of. And that would be class, integrity, and humility. You could have come out swinging and challenged the spineless coward who accused you. Lord knows there were many facts that were not reported, many voices that were not heard, many untruths printed, and lots of heavily redacted items that the general public knew nothing about. Yet you chose to hold your head up high, criticize no one, and just do what you had been doing for the past 20 years...supporting the US Navy the best way you knew how.

You sir, are a class act. And on this Armed Forces Day, I salute you for your service to the United States of America.

:yessir: Onwards & Upwards. I wonder what his next role will be.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Return to Seaplanes and Aviation in the News & Media