Member Support

• Advertisement

Really Ugly Crash at Palmer Lake

Share global news about seaplanes here...

Really Ugly Crash at Palmer Lake

Unread postby KeithSmith » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:20 pm

http://www.krdo.com/news/reports-of-a-plane-crash-in-el-paso-county/38297782

"The plane is a complete loss due to the fire. We are unable to identify a tail number and or whether or not there were any victims," said Sgt. Mitchell with the El Paso County Sheriff's Office.

The plane went down south of the railroad tracks that run through the northwestern El Paso County town.

The plane burst into flames after the crash. The fire spread into nearby grass, but firefighters were able to contain it. The fire burned less than a quarter of an acre.

"The Palmer Lake Fire Department did an excellent job getting to the scene quickly and extinguishing the fire before it became a threat to any civilians," said Mitchell.

The FAA and the NTSB are investigating the cause. Investigators say wind could have played a role in the crash.

"We've had high wind warnings in the area along with fire alerts for the last several days," said Mitchell.

Roger Moseley, a Palmer Lake resident and former Air Force test pilot saw the crash.

"I assume it was a loss of control due to turbulence or some other issue like an engine failure or even a medical issue. It's just a very unusual place to impact the ground," said Moseley.

Moseley says errors are common on windy days.

"There was a lot of wind out of the north and coming across the mountains through this path that would be quite turbulent. So if the pilot was trying to sneak over that low spot, that could have been a problem," said Moseley.

Mosely says even if the pilot was experienced, it may not have been avoidable.

"It's amazing how you can get trapped, even an experienced pilot or someone like me used to flying high performance airplanes, you can make some very tragic errors," said Mosely.

The crash is really ugly, but thank goodness we have former Air Force test pilot Mosely to explain things to us. I think my favorite was "It's just a very unusual place to impact the ground," I only wish he would have told us were the usual places to impact the ground are so we could have avoided those places.
KeithSmith
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Re: Really Ugly Crash at Palmer Lake

Unread postby chrisbuck243 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:59 am

KeithSmith wrote:The crash is really ugly, but thank goodness we have former Air Force test pilot Mosely to explain things to us. I think my favorite was "It's just a very unusual place to impact the ground," I only wish he would have told us were the usual places to impact the ground are so we could have avoided those places.

I love this...As much as I hate to see the story itself. I was thinking the exact same thing when I read that part.
chrisbuck243
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Really Ugly Crash at Palmer Lake

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:35 pm

People say a lot of things when interviewed with no advanced warning as to the questions and no time to think out the exact answer. I am not sure where the crash site was in proximity to say and Airport, where you would expect planes to be low and expect to hit the ground, hopefully in full control. His off hand comment may have just been regarding the area relative to normal low altitude aircraft operations. I think we are being a little harsh.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Seaplanes and Aviation in the News & Media