Member Support

• Advertisement

Beach landing permits east hampton

Share global news about seaplanes here...

Beach landing permits east hampton

Unread postby Stevesbrother » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:04 pm

Beach Landing Permits Going Fast in the Hamptons

Following news that non-resident beach parking permits have already sold out for summer 2016, Hamptons officials yesterday announced that beach landing permits are going fast.

“Anybody who foresees landing their helicopter, sea plane or hovercraft on a Hamptons beach this summer needs to act fast to obtain the proper permit,” said Annabelle Zuschlag, who issues the beach landing permits out of the Hamptons municipal offices. “We are only issuing 750 permits, and as of right now, we’ve already granted over 500 to applicants.”

Hamptons Police spokesman Larry Hirsch added that the police plan to be hyper-vigilant about checking landing permits this summer.

“In past years, we’ve been pretty relaxed about it when people have landed their aircraft on the beach. We know that it’s vacation time, and people like to save time by getting from beach to beach by air, so we’ve let people off with a warning. Well, don’t count on it this summer. Get your permit!”

The Hamptons Municipal Board began issuing beach landing permits back in the early 1970s, as wealthy locals and part-timers began landing their flying vehicles more regularly on area shores. The program began with just five permits—one of which was later revoked when the owner was found to be running a sea plane smuggling operation out of his oceanfront home in Amagansett.

But as the Hamptons’ popularity grew, so did the wealth of many of its beachgoers. And, as everyone knows, with with wealth, comes flight.

Read more tales from the Hamptons Police Blotter

I'm sure you got yours already BOB
"Still dreaming and hoping to die young at heart with a bar room story that will close the place"
Stevesbrother
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Re: Beach landing permits east hampton

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:23 am

Everyone should also know that Beach Landings are not for Ocean Beaches and VERY limited to areas of Gardiner's Bay.

http://ecode360.com/9229242
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Rajay » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:00 am

He was smuggling seaplanes into the Hamptons? Wow, who knew that there was a "black-market" for such things as seaplanes! ;-)
Rajay
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby Stevesbrother » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:03 pm

Bob technically seaplanes don't land on the beach, they're boats according to CG once they're on the water. There are so many customers out there that I used to fly too and beach at their houses . Shoreline and the whale have never gotten permits. Is this going to affect them
"Still dreaming and hoping to die young at heart with a bar room story that will close the place"
Stevesbrother
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:59 pm

Sag Harbor Sound, Including North Haven and Sag Harbor have had a restriction on Seaplane Operations (that includes taxiing, considered a boat or not) closer than 1,500 from shore, for many years now. For a while Jimmy Buffet's boat captain would meet his seaplane after he landed and tow him back to his dock, but he finally gave up. I am with the Aux. CG and they have given up their jurisdiction in some of Sag Harbor waters in turn for the Harbor Master's Department doing the patrolling and ticket issuing. In addition the Coast Guard and the FAA are not the only agencies that have jurisdiction over aircraft operations in New York.

Last Thursday I was at a Harbor Committee meeting and we were discussing whether or not a floating dock was going to be allowed for one seaplane company to meet seaplanes away from shore, disembark passengers and ferry them to the shore or their homes.

I had a water front listing on Barcelona Bay and hired a seaplane to do a photo shoot of people being off loaded on to the beach in front of and owned by the home owner, down to the high water mark and got caught, prosecuted and fined.

With all the bad press about the airport, things are really heating up East of the canal.

East Hampton is getting power crazy. As of May 1st, owners of homes in East Hampton Township have to have a rental permit and registration number of they can not even advertise their home for rent no less rent it. All of our rental listings in East Hampton are coming off the internet as of April 15th and re-instated only once a rental registration number is supply by the home owner. The home owner has to pay for an inspection and a permit to be able to rent and must adhere to a bunch of old and new regulations.

Southampton instituted something similar but less stringent 3 years ago and Montauk is about to put in one that is even more restrictive.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Stevesbrother » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:45 pm

Thanks Bob. Wow crazy! That plane that got caught by harbor master was one of ours. Captain and company owner ended up in court. Could have been jail time but prosecutor dropped it down. The boat traffic at sunset beach has gotten so heavy( even mega yachts now) that the seaplanes can't get to shore and are trying to use float dock and water taxi. Doesn't sound good!
Stevesbrother
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:09 pm

The "on the water it is a boat" thing no longer holds up, not only here but in many places. At least Sunset Beach is a different township being on Shelter Island. I still take tailwheel students into Westmoreland on Shelter Island. Wonder how long that is going to last.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:39 pm

I guess if you choose to live there and don't have the power to change things then one shouldn't complain. I guess this is why I choose to live where my nearest neighbor is 1500' away and I can pee and shoot off my front porch and park my plane in the back yard. Life is too short Bob to have to put up with other peoples sh!t

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:58 pm

Different Strokes for Different Folks. We all make a lot of choices, just like you could move to a more gun friendly state and don't. As much as I might complain Glenn, there are other positives that keep me here and in Manhattan. If and when I own, partner or have access to a seaplane again, it will never be operated in salt water, so just stating the facts rather then my complaining. I am very happy driving 5 miles to the private gun club I belong too instead of shooting off my back deck. In Manhattan, there are 6 restaurants on my tree lined street that I can crawl home from (and often do) and just about everything in need within about a 4 block area. Broadway Plays are a $2.75 round trip subway far away (Seniors Rate) and I live 1/2 block from the subway entrance to get to Theater Row and within two blocks of every other subway including the Path to New Jersey. Not for everyone, but just right for me.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Seaplanes and Aviation in the News & Media