Member Support

• Advertisement

Boston to New York Seaplane Service from the Boston Globe

Share global news about seaplanes here...

Boston to New York Seaplane Service from the Boston Globe

Unread postby KeithSmith » Mon May 09, 2016 9:08 pm

Finding a quick route from downtown Boston to Manhattan can be vexing at best for business travelers. Drive, hop on Amtrak, or take the air shuttle? Any one of them will lock you in for more than three hours of travel time.

Soon, though, there could be much faster alternative: a seaplane.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2016/05/08/need-get-nyc-fast-soon-you-may-able-hop-seaplane-boston/Fwvr73nduvSee8G4FjFjQL/story.html
KeithSmith
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Re: Boston to New York Seaplane Service from the Boston Glob

Unread postby TriPacer » Tue May 10, 2016 5:43 pm

The comments on that article are pretty interesting... Pretty mixed bag of reactions.
TriPacer
Owner Of The Force
From Minnesota, where men strangle bears and children fly helicopters!
TriPacer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KeithSmith » Tue May 10, 2016 8:30 pm

TriPacer wrote:The comments on that article are pretty interesting... Pretty mixed bag of reactions.

I tend to read the public comments in news articles a lot and it's really frightening. I work with and generally interact with people who think more or less as I do. (That people should earn what they receive, that the police are not the bad guys, that we do wrong if we leave a large debt for future generations to pay, etc.) But when you read the comments that people post on new articles you see that there are a whole lot of people who have very dissimilar views.
KeithSmith
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby TriPacer » Thu May 19, 2016 1:10 pm

Indeed. There was a recent spat in social media about how Blake Lively made a joke by quoting a rap song to describe her looks. Boy did that set off a mixed bag of reactions... Because, you know, no one can take a joke anymore. In all seriousness, though, it's interesting to see how so many people can take something so many different ways.
TriPacer
Owner Of The Force
From Minnesota, where men strangle bears and children fly helicopters!
TriPacer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Thu May 19, 2016 5:00 pm

Anyone starting a pool on just how long this will last?

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Stevesbrother » Thu May 19, 2016 8:13 pm

Hope they make it ! Love to see an new seaplane service anywhere. Cape air has the capital and the stayin power. They seem do do well all over the world. The income is there. Boston to Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard I imagine the airfares will be 500+ one way for 20 minute flight . Pax are paying more than that out of east river to Hamptons for 35 min flight. The tough thing will be finding pilots that want to operate in confined harbor with tough water and only get 3 months work. If cape air can put this together with winter flying between us and Cuba there might be year round slots. I'll be surprised if they can pull off NYC to Boston in caravans. Price has to be too high and time to long to compete with shuttle and without fuel at both ends caravan would have to stop enroute for fuel. But they're a lot smarter than me!
"Still dreaming and hoping to die young at heart with a bar room story that will close the place"
Stevesbrother
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KeithSmith » Fri May 20, 2016 12:10 am

I was in the Marine Air Terminal in LaGuardia recently and couldn't help but think about this fledgling effort. I hope it is a great success.
KeithSmith
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Fri May 20, 2016 4:05 pm

Me too Keith. Tough, seasonal business. For some operators the mess at East Hampton Airport is heating up again as the season gets ready to start and I am sure there will be fireworks well before the 4th of July.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Seaplanes and Aviation in the News & Media