Member Support

• Advertisement

DHC-2 Down in Lumby, British Columbia

Share global news about seaplanes here...

DHC-2 Down in Lumby, British Columbia

Unread postby KlausNW » Thu May 12, 2016 4:06 am

Small plane crashes

Kate Bouey - May 10, 2016 / 2:25 pm

http://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/165412/Small-plane-crashes

The Transportation Saftey Board has been called in to investigate the crash of a small plane on private property, just off Mabel Lake Road north of Lumby, reports RCMP.

“A single-engine de Havilland Beaver float plane crashed on private property,” said Cpl. Trevor Tribes of the Lumby RCMP.

The three occupants were Lumby residents who were “able to scramble from the wreckage” before it caught fire, said Tribes. The three had only minor injuries.

Tribes said the pilot was co-operating with the investigation.

The officer refused to speculate on the cause of the crash.

Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: DHC-2 Down in Lumby, British Columbia

Unread postby RKittine » Thu May 12, 2016 6:11 pm

Glad no one was badly hurt. J.J., does this one constitute a "Crash"?

RPK
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Thu May 12, 2016 11:33 pm

Only if the water rudder was dysfunctional prior to or after impact.

Had there been a flightplan on file, then the pilot would have known about the nearby water and could have landed on top of it.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby jjbaker » Fri May 13, 2016 12:40 am

RKittine wrote:Glad no one was badly hurt. J.J., does this one constitute a "Crash"?

RPK

Maybe you're irritated because I attack the press for its poor and sensationalism driven reporting of so many incidents and accidents.

Trying to imagine how this went down in BC.

Reporter: Mr. Tribes, what happened here? Give us some information for our readers!
Mr. Tribes: Well, the smoking pile of scrapmetal here flopped on the ground and the people crawled out of it. Then it caught fire.
Reporter: Yes, yes. Was anybody hurt?
Mr. Tribes: No. They're all sitting over there. A bit shaken up, but otherwise fine.
Reporters: We've heard that these airplanes crash and burn a lot. Can you confirm that?
Mr. Tribes: No. This is the first crash of this kind I have seen.
Reporters: Ah, so you can confirm that there have been many crashes, but you didn't see them?!
Mr. Tribes: That's not what I said.
Reporter: Do you know if a flight plan was filed?
Mr. Tribes: Not that I am aware of.
Reporter notes "No flightplan was filed"
Reporter: We have information stating that the pilot was violent towards the mole in his backyard. Can you confirm this?
Mr. Tribes: Do you know anyone who isn't violent towards the mole in their backyard?
Reporter notes: Pilot emotionally unstable and violent.

10 more stupid questions which Mr. Tribes has no answers to.

Reporter: You know, our readers want to know what happened here. We can't just write that it was just a crash and nobody was hurt.
Mr. Tribes: I told you what I know. Go over there and ask the pilot.
Reporter thinks: "God forbid! Don't spoil a good headline with facts!"
Reporter: Any wild speculation as to what happened here? Anything?
Mr. Tribes: Pound sand you moron, I've got work to do.

The reporter then fills the remaining space with "The officer refused to speculate".

I would have done it differently. I own a forum for seaplane pilots, so OBVIOUSLY I am an expert.

Then I would tell him that this type of aircraft is usually equipped with a SIPS Siemens Impact Prevention System and that the air-hook which was supposed to catch the aircraft 10 feet over the ground failed. Since this air-hook arrests system failed prior to impact, the egress ladder system, which allows passengers and pilots to exit the aircraft safely could not extend in time. As a result, unfortunately, the passengers had to remain in the cabin during the impact.

Due to this failure, the pilot (who had not filed a flight plan and hence didn't know about the water 50 feet away) wasn't able to prevent the impact. After impact the APDS (Advanced Passenger Disembarkation System) pinched the passengers back to consciousness and triggered them to crawl away from the wreckage. Afterwards the EDFA (Evidence Destruction Fire Accelerator) System kicked in and burned the evidence. Yes, that EDFA system was optional equipment in these aircraft, because they crash a lot and nobody wanted anyone else to find any evidence.

Ergo. Yes. It was a crash. In the time it took me to write this, some 90 people died in car accidents on this planet.

With any further questions, I'd refer to Seaplane Pilots Association which has experienced subject matter experts on staff.
Maybe Captain Suzuki will provide some further information. As we know he just crashed due to a mis-configuration in his prescription strength windshield.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Fri May 13, 2016 8:20 am

Nope, Just teasing you so don't get all Tutonic :Germany: :beer:
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Fri May 13, 2016 8:39 am

If you saw the emails I got last week, you'd be surprised to find me walking and communicating at all. :cheers:
There isn't enough Gin available for sale to reset my HDD. Our guys can't crack a smile, so the hardcore members need to cheer each other up.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Fri May 13, 2016 5:49 pm

As an old member, I can use some cheering up. Got my most recent scan results today.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby BGH » Fri May 13, 2016 11:57 pm

Am I classed as an old member?I do't look old but after the last couple months of working 6 & 7 days a week with some of those days being 12 hour days I sure feel like the beaver looks.

Daryl
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Seaplanes and Aviation in the News & Media