Member Support

• Advertisement

East River is not a NY "highway" per se...

Share global news about seaplanes here...

East River is not a NY "highway" per se...

Unread postby Rajay » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:24 pm

I am surprised that nothing yet has been posted here (that I have seen anyway) about the C-208 that broke a float while landing in the East River by Manhattan and its passengers had to be taken off by rescue boats and the airplane then towed to a dock - with the left wingtip under water. Saw some video online and on Facebook...

Curious to hear what happened. Pilot error or mechanical failure, etc.?
Rajay
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Re: East River is not a NY "highway" per se...

Unread postby skimmerone » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:49 pm

I understand that it happened on takeoff, having just picked up 9 passengers headed to the Hamptons. Evidently lifted off prematurely a couple of times and came back down hard the last time. The East River is treacherous with crisscrossing wakes, weird winds and flotsam everywhere, not to mention bridges. You couldn't pay me enough to fly in and out of there, even just once. Even west of there out over the Hudson at low altitudes with the wind blowing the turbulence is severe and tall buildings on the east side, and the Palisades on the west creating horrible turbulence. I flew up the river once with a 45 degree crab angle and both hands on the stick. Telling self not to let up on the crab angle or I would be in someone's apartment.
skimmerone
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:21 am

And don't forget the currents from the tides. I don't even like taking my power boat up the East River.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Rajay » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:36 am

Has anyone ever tried to establish a Manhattan seaplane base on the Hudson side instead? Is it any better in terms of traffic, wakes, current, wind, obstructions, debris, etc?
Rajay
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:15 am

The Hudson River side is much worse as that is the side with all of the Cruise Ships, the barges, freighters and tankers going up state and as bad if not worse currents during tide change. Being much wider than the East River, the wind can cause more interesting wave action on top of everything else.

In order to operate a Seaplane in the East River legally, you have to get a certification / endorsement.

There had been a Seaplane Base on the Hudson in Peekskill, New York for years, but that was in a protected natural harbor. It has been closed for a long time.

Skimmer one can comment on seaplane operations on the Hudson River, South of Albany, where one day it is safe and another it can be treacherous.

Both the East River and the Hudson are pretty much salt water around Manhattan and brackish for the first 50 miles as well as tidal.

Once you get up North of Albany, the river is much more forgiving, narrower, smaller boat traffic, no tides and no salt.

When I am in Chapel Hill and the surrounding area, I have noticed some quite large lakes, that maybe resevors too. Can you operate on any of these near Chapel Hill?

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby skimmerone » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:32 am

Actually, Skimmer One just did type a rather long post at exactly the same time Bob did, and it has disappeared into the archives. We must have hit submit at the same time. John
skimmerone
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:20 pm

Can you resend John, You have a great deal of experience on the Hudson.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Seaplanes and Aviation in the News & Media