Member Support

Another Icon A5 goes down

Share global news about seaplanes here...

Another Icon A5 goes down

Unread postby sjmurray » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:44 pm

Plane registered to former MLB pitcher Roy Halladay

http://www.wtsp.com/news/former-mlb-pit ... /489944976

This is too sad.
sjmurray
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Re: Another Icon A5 goes down

Unread postby KlausNW » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:49 pm

Cirrus had a string of bad luck when they first started out, but they've made it. I think it's bad luck to declare a plane as safe. When folks ask me if an aircraft is safe I remind them that thousands of people get hit in cross walks and railroad tracks. Two places that we are told by government are safe when you follow the rules.

I still don't understand how so many people get hit by trains...

Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:16 am

Will be interesting to read what the full witness accounts were, when they are released.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/re ... spartandhp

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KeithSmith » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:05 am

KlausNW wrote:I still don't understand how so many people get hit by trains...

Two comments on that question:

You have to wonder how many of those involve suicide, how many were intentional risk taking, and how many involved copious amounts of alcohol or drugs.

Many years ago I worked in downtown and lived on "the other side of the tracks". To get to and from work and everywhere except our little subdivision, I had to drive across a series of about nine railroad tracks. No matter what, there was always at least one train sitting on the tracks and the bell would ring constantly. It just became an accepted fact that the bell would be ringing and nothing was moving. I'd concentrate on trying to find the least bumpy path to get my little VW Bug across that set of railroad tracks. Then, one day as I was driving along with the windows open, I heard the unmistakable sound of an air horn in my right ear. I snapped my head to the right and saw maybe 40% of an oncoming locomotive. It was close enough that the other 60% was above the roof. I learned a couple things that day. First, just because it's always been that way before doesn't mean it's that way now. Second, the front end of approaching locomotives are pretty scary. Third, when suddenly floored, a VW Bug will accelerate painfully slow.

However, back to the subject of the aviation accident; AOPA published an excellent initial report. Not to jump the gun on the investigators, but it seems pretty certain that the cause was a pilot who intended to have fun but went a bit too far.
KeithSmith
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby skimmerone » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:36 pm

Is it possible that the gear was down?
skimmerone
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:48 pm

Very happy to see no speculation on this site!
Sometimes being small has benefits, as there just isn't a significant number of experts to opine on stuff.

The last few days have been crazy and embarrassing for many who claim to be journalists and aviation experts.

http://seaplanemagazine.com/2017/11/09/ ... day-crash/

Love the train comparison & Keith's story on his Volkswagen stopping a train.

Couple years ago, Paul Walker (very famous actor from Fast and Furious) wrapped a 500 horsepower Ferrari (or Porsche, all the same, but thanks for the email correction!) around a tree and converted himself to an unappetizing piece of mush. Surprisingly a few things could be observed:

1. No NTSB or other DOT outlet got "to the bottom" of it.
2. No Person who had ever seen a car wanted Ferrari (or Porsche, all the same, stop emailing me about it!!) to stop producing and selling sportscars.
3. Unlike our own aviation media, nobody in automotive media world lowered themselves to judge Ferrari (I will freak out, if you tell me one more time that it was a Porsche!) or dingle hopper around basking in the sun, spewing "expert" statements about the dangers of driving cars or driving Ducati Motorcycles (who had nothing to do with it!)
4. We know that on average, flying small planes is not one bit safer than driving a motorcycle. How many thousands of people die on motorcycles each year?

Flying is still the most adventorous and exciting thing a person could do in their life. The smalles part of our worlds population has any concept or idea about it. The fewest of the few get to even do this!

One would hope that some of those planting themselves into any sort of flying contraption realize that flying bears risk (no matter how crash proof and "safe" it has been built) of injury or death, especially if maneuvered in such a way that aerodynamics change into the laws of physics of impact force.

We need a completely new approach and way of thinking about all of this. We need it PRONTO, before our candle is blown out.

We have a megaton of selfinduced damage as an industry from this and its neither Roy Halladay's nor ICON's fault. The coverage of the last few days is nothing short of embarrassing and our aviation industries response to it was an insult to everyone with more than half a loaf of wet bread in their head.

May god help us!
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby jjbaker » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:37 am

jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Return to Seaplanes and Aviation in the News & Media