Member Support

hybrid amfibiefly

Share global news about seaplanes here...

hybrid amfibiefly

Unread postby KlausNW » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:36 pm

Hybrid amphibiously will bring people to the cabin

Aircraft design is outdated, says Tomas Brødreskift. Therefore he builds his own. June 2, 2013.

https://www.tu.no/artikler/hybrid-amfibiefly-skal-frakte-folk-til-hytta/233470

This article is an update: http://www.newsinenglish.no/2018/01/30/first-electric-seaplane-may-fly-this-spring/

First electric seaplane may fly this spring

January 30, 2018

Tomas Brødreskift, a 36-year-old resident of Oslo, is believed to be the first to have built an electric seaplane. The industrial designer hopes it can become an environmentally friendly alternative to other means of transport in Norway, which has a long coastline and a lot of seas.

“Just think about a network of efficient and quiet electric seaplanes in the fjords and along the coast, that could also bring folks in to the cities and major airports,” Brødreskift told newspaper VG this week.

He calls his invention a hybrid amfibiefly, and believes it can save time, energy and cut emissions by using the air instead of building expensive roads. He’s been working on the design and construction for the past eight years and admits to being a bit nervous ahead of its test flights this spring.

“But I think it will go well,” Brødresift said. Norway is already a world leader in electric cars, and officials at state-owned Avinor, which runs Norway’s airports, have announced commitments to commercial electric flights, hopefully by the 2030s.

Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: hybrid amfibiefly

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:07 pm

Interesting, With all the new composits might be much better in salt water too. I am looking forward to flying this Diamond Twin with the Jet Fuel Engines and single power controls. The new Diamond Personal Jet looks interesting too. But the Sedan is looking more like what I will close out my water flying career in.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:40 am

$150,000 to complete and then what price to purchase one and in what year. Looks like a great advancement and if successful many younger, high income pilots might be able to start flying them. Being aan Amphib and having a range of 854 NM, this could be a real winner. Doesn't make the current Light Sport cut at 750 kilos, (1,650 pounds) but in the future under the single passenger license that will not matter.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:26 am

There is a very vibrant, upbeat and motivated bunch of people over here in Europe (and all over the world, really) and new developments are appreciated and fostered by the community, rather than beaten to the ground (case of ICON) and covered with frivolous lawsuits (now also the case of ICON).

Equators founder is a bit reserved with me because I refuse to check their Facebook everyday for news and developments and in fact they are so focused on social media, its all they ever do... But I just checked and they are much further ahead than I thought...

Lots of people who follow us without the use of Facebook are left stranded, but that's the new Mark Zuckerberg way of the world...

https://www.facebook.com/equatoraircraf ... 089087201/
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:12 am

I wish them well and hope to see more reports on the progress from the Greatest Seaplane Magazine the world has known. (That would be yours!)
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:25 pm

I want to see the docking/beaching video

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:25 pm

jjbaker wrote:There is a very vibrant, upbeat and motivated bunch of people over here in Europe (and all over the world, really) and new developments are appreciated and fostered by the community, rather than beaten to the ground (case of ICON) and covered with frivolous lawsuits (now also the case of ICON).

Equators founder is a bit reserved with me because I refuse to check their Facebook everyday for news and developments and in fact they are so focused on social media, its all they ever do... But I just checked and they are much further ahead than I thought...

Lots of people who follow us without the use of Facebook are left stranded, but that's the new Mark Zuckerberg way of the world...

https://www.facebook.com/equatoraircraf ... 089087201/

The social media overload must be the reason for so many names for the same aircraft.

These guys are building a prototype of a new unproven technology. Even if it doesn't workout as well as they want it's a very big step to the elusive electric plane. The other electric aircraft that are flying now are not hybrid. The advantage of this hybrid design over a direct drive engine is the weight distribution. The advantage of the hybrid over the existing electric is the batteries. Everyone has acknowledged that the battery technology is not ready for mainstream yet.

What's facebook? :SPAM ALERT:
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:19 pm

Facebook is what costs us quality news releases, spreads rumors and fake news and reaches a particularly short attention span ridden audience who like and share the shit out everything that looks halfway valid. Have you heard of the new "thoughts and prayers app"?

You can buy likes and popularity on it, and in the future the platforms users will rate the content someone paid to show them for validity.

Facebook is (hands down) the single worst enemy of open and honest dialog, an obstacle to brainstorming and a filter for new ideas. But its heaven for companies who used to finance fat and lazy print editors who chose and picked editorial coverage based on the newsmakers advertising potential, rather than the significance of the news they shared...

Tidbit: I used to receive news releases from companies who have decided against us in terms of advertising/ sponsorship. After they turned us down for the new site and its potential, they also stopped releasing their news to us. It is completely normal and accepted doctrine that those who don't advertise can't get editorial coverage. I actually had to write and argue with two of them to just keep sending their news releases, and that I would bring them, no matter if advertiser or not...

Just today I received an email informing me that a certain print publication turned down an article written by a highly qualified navigation/ software/ collission avoidance expert, because he mentioned the name of the company he works for. That is already advertising and hence the publisher is asking for payment to bring it....

Thats AVIATION, Klaus. Pay to disseminate information people desperately need to know and think about! What we are fed is filtered, throttled, disguised, paid or fake.

This is 2018, folks. We've been to the Moon and Mars and we can clone monkeys. But we can't change status quo. Equator is changing status quo and Inwill toast in hell before I refuse them access to a resource that is available worldwide and has readers in 57 countries, just because they are strapped for cash...

So, there. No alcohol involved, I am sober like a ROCK.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:35 pm

Unfortunately the younger generation is overly tied into Social Media.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:04 am

jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:02 am

I have re-looked at the picture in SeaplaneMagazine and at the drawing posted in this thread. What supports the wings while on the water?

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:52 pm

RKittine wrote:I have re-looked at the picture in SeaplaneMagazine and at the drawing posted in this thread. What supports the wings while on the water?
Bob

When I was reading up on the concept behind this aircraft, they decided to eliminate all parasite drag. The wings are water tight sealed and are used as sponsons. I've seen that tried before and it works fairly good in 3 inch seas. As long as they only fly on calm days they should be alright.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:13 pm

It would strike me as also being subject to trouble with cross winds.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:27 pm

RKittine wrote:I have re-looked at the picture in SeaplaneMagazine and at the drawing posted in this thread. What supports the wings while on the water?

Bob

Gravity ;-)

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:48 pm

?????????????????
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:53 pm

RKittine wrote:?????????????????

Gravity supports the wings while sitting on the water, think about it

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:20 am

And when there is a wave or wind and the main body bobs! From the pictures, with the wheels retracted and the body displacing some water, maybe the wings rest on the surface, though would be interesting take off run start.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:25 pm

These engineers are experts in electric motors and batteries. Chances are they know very little about the history of seaplanes. The Icon engineers originally said their Icon 5 would have a 125 knot cruise speed. The latest report I've read the Icon 5 doesn't go much over 95 knots. We know that flying hauls need a lot more lift to get off the water then a wheel plane. These guys will figure that out also or maybe skip the flying haul and just be a retractable clean plane.

I worked with an engineer (who became a float pilot) that worked in the 60's thru 70's on creating a flying haul seaplane. He told me that each design they came up with went faster and took off shorter when a set of floats where attached.

If I were serious about building a flying haul the first phone call I made would be to John Staber and the folks who designed the existing fleet of flying hauls. They've already have thought and tried everything imaginable... even hydrofoils.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:51 am

At least failures by some pioneers can be helpful to guide future Dreamers! :beer:
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:52 pm

Skip to 4 1/2 minutes if you just want to watch the air-sled zoom around.

Tie a parachute to it and you have an electric amphibious aircraft. Probably cost less then $1000.00
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:59 am

There is a guy on another forum I am on that is almost done with a two year project building a air boat. Will never get into the air (except maybe off a ski jump), but it would sled around well in the Fjords.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Seaplanes and Aviation in the News & Media