Member Support

PK Floats

Share global news about seaplanes here...

PK Floats

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:33 pm

Hope this works out. Good folks working there

AVIATION BUSINESS OFFERING • BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY OFFERED • PK Floats a US Float Manufacturer For Sale. PK is a 60+ year old maker of seaplane floats. Over 1200 sets of floats in worldwide service. Offered is PK Brand, real estate, equipment, inventory, aircraft, trained staff, ideal location with seaplane base on airport. New products plus 40 existing FAA Supplemental Type Certificates. Eleven TSO'd Float models plus new LSA Carbon Fiber float. PK is the industry leader in dependable, rugged, rough water floats with specialties with Cessna and Husky aircraft. Unique business opportunity. Call Peter Ventre / Ventre Commercial Real Estate 207 653-4447 • VISIT MY WEBSITE • Contact Patrick McGowan - PK FLOATS, Broker - located Lincoln, ME USA • Telephone: 207-446-5262 . 207-794-0180 . • Posted February 6, 2018
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Re: PK Floats

Unread postby jjbaker » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:21 pm

The question is always why its sold if its so successful. At least the US industry gets a chance to snag the company up before the Chinese ingest it.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:24 am

Its hard to get money for an unsuccessful business unless you are only buying the Intellectual Property and inventory or parts etc. Maybe the owner(s) want to cash out, maybe they are just tired of Floating Around. Since the property is for sale as part of the package, it may be more like cashing out the value of the real estate. I currently have three airports for sale, all of which will probably sell for the land value and be turned into something else. I have one other quiet airport sales listing and know of at least one more, here in eastern/southern New York alone.

With the business, inventory and land for sale as a package and the trained people wanting to stay on, this would not be as interesting a prospect for the Chinese, though who knows.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:42 am

RKittine wrote:Its hard to get money for an unsuccessful business unless you are only buying the Intellectual Property and inventory or parts etc. Maybe the owner(s) want to cash out, maybe they are just tired of Floating Around. Since the property is for sale as part of the package, it may be more like cashing out the value of the real estate. I currently have three airports for sale, all of which will probably sell for the land value and be turned into something else. I have one other quiet airport sales listing and know of at least one more, here in eastern/southern New York alone.

With the business, inventory and land for sale as a package and the trained people wanting to stay on, this would not be as interesting a prospect for the Chinese, though who knows.

Bob

Heres your chance to get out of NYC and live the seaplane dream.

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:07 pm

I have zero interest in leaving New York City. May be leaving Long Island for a different weekend house. Next weekend I will be in Annapolis looking at water front town house. Just bought a new Sail Boat, which I will get a lot more use out of on the Chesapeake Bay than up here. Already have taken the C-182 into Annapolis Airport. Don and I do want to get a jump on the season with the Sedan as long as the Spring Thaw is not too bad.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:11 pm

RKittine wrote:I have zero interest in leaving New York City. May be leaving Long Island for a different weekend house.

Bob

I thought you were looking for an out. Most of us upstate consider anything south of the Tappan Zee as a ........, that word that Trump called 3rd world slums :cowwave:

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:48 pm

Getting out of the Hamptons, not Manhattan. I will grow really old here. There are 20 restaurants, 3 multiplex theaters, 3 dry cleaners, 6 banks and 6 pharmacies, plus a whole lot of other places, all within "walker" distance from my apartment. I have a New York City Pistol permit, a gun vault and a well stocked liquor cabinet, plus cable, internet and plenty of other pass times. Until I need the walker, its an easy drive to Warwick and not such a long flight to Island Bob's. Talked to Don today and we will get the Sedan back on the floats and into the water as soon as the island is ready. Hopefully by May 1st. If I buy the place in Annapolis, the 182 will probably go there.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:20 am

Alright. Glenn and Bob ain't gonna buy the company and its unlikely to turn up as a NY Corporation.

With that very important question answered, who IS going to buy it? The real estate is not prime location, the market for the US is rather slim, so how about one of the other two manufacturers pick it up?

I know the Asians are looking to scoop up American knowhow and concepts and it was the Chinese who just placed the largest ever order of Piper Trainers. I am sure there are some US/ Chinese bought investment and speculation calculators clicking right now...

Heck, I have a Mandarin translation feature on Seaplanemagazine.com, in case someone wants to bail me out of the business for good.

Should we all slowly put the "acquirable" signs out while short term greed and quick bucks rule the US of A?

I think 2 years is barely enough to find out if a company is going to fly or is capable of putting money in the bank.

Maybe its time for a better and more positive attitude?

While researching Baumann's actual status, I found that Parker doesn't even show pictures on the website anymore. So if I wanted to buy Baumann Floats Corporation, who would I talk to?
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:27 am

I would think a likely candidate might be an aircraft company that wants to bundle a package, but I don't know all the aircraft that PK has STCs for. Maybe Husky? Park of Cessna's line? I would guess that EDO made a who lot more float sets then PK and look where they are. 1,200 over how many years, 60? Not a thriving business in my opinion, but could have been profitable I guess. Baumann got bought and then stopped making floats. You can still get WAY OVER PRICED parts from Kenmore Air, who bought out the EDO STCs, Toolings etc., but they said they would not make a set of 2000 or less without an order for 10 sets at one time. I paid $750.00 on Barnstormers for a set of Rear Fuselage Attachment bracket, when Kenmore want $3,650 for the set and Peck in Canada for knock offs wanted $1,500. I think today the real money is in Amphib Floats for the Caravan.

With all the metal working and designs, I am surprised that none of the float manufactures branched out into pontoon boats to increase production and reduce costs. Just think how cool it would be to be able to get a slow chugging pontoon party boat up on the step. Cigarette Boats watch out.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Seaplanes and Aviation in the News & Media