Member Support

• Advertisement

Another Icon A5 Makes the News

Share global news about seaplanes here...

Another Icon A5 Makes the News

Unread postby KlausNW » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:29 pm

Small amphibious plane ends up at Sanibel beach after taking on water

WINK NEWS, Fort Myers, FL story: https://www.winknews.com/2018/02/09/small-plane-lands-san-carlos-bay-no-one-hurt/

February 9, 2018 6:11 PM EST
A small rental plane wound up having to be towed out of San Carlos Bay Friday afternoon.

After successfully landing the Icon A5 amphibious light-sport plane it started taking on water and was unable to take off again.

The plane was towed by a boater into the beach area near the Sanibel fishing pier, surprising many beach goers.

The owner is on the way from Tampa to repair the disabled plane. There is no fuel leakage and no injuries.

A plane that arrived to help tow the disabled plane back to shore reportedly got stuck in shallow water as well.

Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Another Icon A5 Makes the News

Unread postby RKittine » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:52 pm

I wonder what the rental rate is?
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:22 pm

Lets wait for the omnipresent aviation expert Captain Zoom Jim Campbell to evaluate the footage professionally. He will lead the investigation and reveal the dirty secrets behind the phenomenon quickly and use his incredible test pilot and astronautical expertise to protect us from this monster plane.

Bob, rental rates for the A5 should hover between 350-400/ hour.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:21 am

I was surprised to see that there was one for rent, but I guess that is one way to help offset the cost, especially since it got dispensation to be an Over Weight LSA. I only paid $350.00 a hour for the new Diamon Twin, which is a dry rate, but with fuel it only worked out to just over $400.00 per hour with those "Jet Fuel" engines. I must be real old fashion though as I like my old school analog panel better than the glass one.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Seaplanes and Aviation in the News & Media