Member Support

Sad day for us on floats

Share global news about seaplanes here...

Sad day for us on floats

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:16 pm

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Re: Sad day for us on floats

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:21 pm

One of my favorite places in Maine is gone. Old logging boarding house on graveyard point where we spent many a happy afternoon sipping coffee and enjoying a home baked cookie sitting on the porch viewing Mt Katahdin
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:47 pm

My area is growing very rapidly. Although the old general stores and lodges aren't burning down the bulldozers are doing what bulldozers do. Even many of the old orchards are being plowed under to make room for industrial interest.
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:27 am

I started going to Kennebunkport Maine when I was 5 and used to stay at The Langsford House, a resort hotel on the water built during the Civil War. It burned down almost to the day on its hundredth birthday. I miss it and a lot of ond memories and now the Colony Hotel is getting old, which is were I went every summer after that until I was 43. It's is well over 120 years old and one of these days I expect to hear the same thing. Old, outdated wiring etc. A shame.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:36 pm

Owner Plans To Rebuild Historic Chesuncook Lake House Destroyed In Fire

http://mainepublic.org/post/owner-plans-rebuild-historic-chesuncook-lake-house-destroyed-fire#stream/0

A fire that leveled a 150-year-old inn on a remote lake over the weekend has torn out a long and storied chapter of Maine history.

The Chesuncook Lake House first served as a base camp for loggers, and then as a wilderness retreat for outdoor enthusiasts wanting to experience the North Woods as they were at the turn of the century.

It’s not easy to reach the Chesuncook Lake House, 50 miles north of Greenville and 65 miles west of Millinocket. And Vern Labbe, deputy director for public lands, says that’s the way he liked it. Labbe worked at the Lake House in the early ’80s.

“To me, the thing that made it special back then is there was only, basically, two ways to get there: by boat or over the ice, snowmobile or snowshoe. But it was a long walk from anywhere, and back then you didn’t have a lot of snowmobiles. So it was an experience to go to the village. You made an effort to get there,” he says.

Chesuncook Village is currently a cluster of privately owned camps that at one time included a store, a church and a school, all part of a logging community. Labbe says people would go up to work for the winter and come down with the river drives in the spring. When those ended in the late ’70s, the population dropped, but Chesuncook Village and the Lake House remained a special place to visit.....
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:59 am

I am sorry that it happened, but more sorry that I missed it.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:56 am

Good news, but it's going to cost a fortune to rebuild. No real road system to get there.

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Return to Seaplanes and Aviation in the News & Media