Member Support

Wait for School TFR'S

Share global news about seaplanes here...

Wait for School TFR'S

Unread postby jjbaker » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:46 am

Deliberate attack against General Aviation or was it just a campaign against the pilot? WATCH FOR KNEE-JERK TFR'S AROUND YOUR SCHOOLS!

https://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/L ... 457-1.html
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Re: Wait for School TFR'S

Unread postby RKittine » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:13 pm

Great comment about the Pizza drones. I do not believe that there is any underlying agenda to hurt General Aviation, just a Knee Jerk reaction because how schools have been sensitized about safety issues these days.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:21 pm

I'm on a campain to outlaw social media sites. I've decided that the reason so many people are getting so sensitive about every little nothing is because they don't get out and experience life enough.

Just finished up a two day Washington Pilot Association meeting. Every other thing said at the meeting triggered somebody. Having discussions about essential organizational operations turns into an apology session. Very few people in the room were under 60.

When I was growing up the folks over 60 where the stable ones that contained themselves and furthered the discussion to find the best resolve.
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:52 pm

Wow, right after I right about my campaign against social media this pops up from the Pew Research Center:

About a quarter of U.S. adults say they are ‘almost constantly’ online

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/03/14/about-a-quarter-of-americans-report-going-online-almost-constantly/
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:22 am

At the risk of offending someone, General Aviation is dying a sensational death in the displays of peoples smart devices, right now. If you fight social media, you fight the people who think they are doing everyone a favor.

Fact is, these incidents (airplanes being considered a risk) are the net result of two decades of organized crime in media and news reporting. The citizen pays a lot of taxes and demands to be protected from harm, in return. The associations know about this trend and can't or won't do anything against it for a very simple reason.

Informed citizens do not protest seaplanes and general aviation at every turn. With each issue that arises, associations get more ammunition into their hands to lure and recruit painfully ignorant people into paying them money for something they won't ever do, or wouldn't know how to do. Problems are the cure! Expecting something different is the same as asking a medicine doctor who has to finance his kids ivy league schooling to actually cure and heal his patients.

Ever seen sweet stuff at a dentists office? How are you going to pay your bills if you eradicate your own business or make it obsolete?!

People are constantly sensitized to the danger of small airplane flying, every single accident is just another nail in the coffin. Meanwhile, young people who spend 95% of their wake operating time on social media, snapchat, Instagram, pinterest and all the others, grow up with a sense of entitlement and having to feel unique in their way of self expression.

Go into any restaurant and look what dominates the action. Smartphones! We are constantly connected, in fact when there is no internet service, panic sets in.

Notes taken over the last two years:

DECREASED READING COMPREHENSION
VERY SHORT ATTENTION SPAN
INCREASE OF RAW LANGUAGE USE
POPULARITY RULES EVERYTHING
INCOHERENT WRITING IS NORMAL
POPULARITY IS MEASURED BY LIKES
POPULARITY = FUNDING!

The Aviation associations and companies have redeveloped the wheel as they now apply the logic and algorithms of Mark Zuckerberg (founder and owner of Facebook, multi-billionaire) to everything they touch.

Question 1: Does it earn us money?
Question 2: Does it get us liked?

Once a Company has filled its order books the ladder is comes up really quick!

In order to be popular, content has to generate likes & shares and the consumer of this content must be made to feel cool and "in" just for reading it. There has to be a tangible reward for sharing it. Money is not the only reward there is, many people perceive their own popularity as a very valid reward.

The problem is that we have 75% old people in Aviation (old is over 60) who have been conditioned to think that the association is the only viable way to connect and do "something" and many of them completely ignore or underestimate the power and reach of social media.

The youngsters (35-50 crowd) exist primarily online, are connected everywhere and under the impression that they are doing the very best thing by increasing aviations popularity. They like, share, post, share some more and touch (but rarely Read and Comprehend) hundreds of pieces of content, every single day. Very little of it sticks!

Here comes the fun part. IF Facebook thinks that, in order to reach anyone, the content should be boosted or paid for, then it suddenly doesn't matter if you like or follow the page, you just WON'T see it or won't see it within the effective time period. I just today found a petition a friend of mine shared 3+ days ago. Had I been shown what and whom I CHOSE to follow when he posted it, then I could have taken action 3 days sooner. We all know what a good idea it is to send the call to action on the day of, right?

The ratio Facebook applies is between 5-8%. If your site has 1000 Likes, approximately 100 of your fans will see what you posted, often less. Generated reach is then dependent on the interconnection of Aviation people who follow each other.

EXAMPLE:

Klaus who likes Seaplanemagazine.com on Facebook sees what I share, but Daryl Doherty who also likes the page, doesn't. But Daryl and Klaus are friends and with some luck, Daryl gets to see what Klaus just liked and shared. So, Daryl likes what Klaus liked and that's why Paul's wife Nancy (who doesn't know that there is a Seaplanemagazine.com sees a picture she likes. She shares or likes the picture and that's how Paul learns that there is a Seaplanemagazine.com.

Paul then likes one of my articles, (which I see) and now I can invite him to like and follow my page, starting the process anew.

The more likes and followers I have, the more Facebook thinks I should be paying for the reach. IOW's organic reach is directly and inversely proportional to the popularity Facebook thinks I should be able to attain without paying.

To test your thesis to kill social media, I invite you to look around on your most favorite forums and tell me if traffic and post-count have decreased or increased over the last 3 years.

SPA Website & Forum: Dead.
SEAPLANEFORUM: Dead.
Supercub: Slower.
Seaplaneinternational.com: Dead

Each one of those sites have Facebook Pages. Each, except Seaplaneforum.com are very popular on Facebook even though they produce no or not much shareable content. Who wants to read discussions between disgruntled fatalists on Facebook? I don't. That's why SPA doesn't talk much substance on its Facebook page, but rather shares other people's and companies paid reach. Increasing one's popularity spells a certain percentage of people who will join and pay dues so that they are part of the cool and self declared heros of Seaplane Aviation. That's ALL that ever matters.

I believe we ought to prepare for pop up TFR'S and permanent no fly zones around schools before too long.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:08 am

The forums that I am on that have increased activity on the forum rather than on their Facebook pages are ones with mostly older people on them, Probably more like 50 and up. But many are not real computer literate (in fact some of the people on gun sites do not seem to be literate at all.)

General Aviation is not one of the expensive past times that interests most of the younger generation. Those with a lot of money, use the smaller types of air transport, like seaplanes and helicopters to get to their jobs, second and third homes etc. For them it is a tool and not a passion and they are happy to see GA die off. We aren't about to change that in my opinion as we keep preaching to the choir only.

Although I am on the computer too much, most of that is while I am in front of it for work. But I still read voraciously. What you see here (before all these shelves were filed and 3 more book cases added) is about half (the other half in my Manhattan apartment) About 40 % of which in Non-Fiction. (I don't sleep much)

Bob
Attachments
BOOK CASE II.JPG
And More
BOOK CASE I B.JPG
I Still Read - A Lot
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:07 pm

Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:13 pm

Here's another bogus concept that I can blame on "Social Media". I couldn't contain myself in the comments...

https://generalaviationnews.com/2018/03/17/time-to-change-50-year-old-aviation-curriculum/
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:33 pm

In full disclosure: I'm guilty of too much social time on the internet.

I'm a sucker for baby pictures. Aliens, bigfoot, time travelers and anything else that gives me a fun story. fortunately, I use an obscure operating system that doesn't suffer from viruses and attacks. I've wondered off into the deepest corners of the internet and see why people should fear big brother.

Forums like this one and any other are a branch of social media. I'm not on facebook or any other popular spontaneous posting site. I like to stay relatively on topic and keep a discussion going with some slim chance of resolve. I believe it's a healthy mental exercise to think hard about a topic and find some focus. More than ever before has the saying: "If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything" need to be understood.

"Spontaneous Posting" . This is very very dangerous. Before the internet was ever thought of, before the birth of Christ. People spoke out of turn and from emotion. Many good people have died defending the honor of a priest or king who had a bad hair day. The only way to prevent reactionary response to a reactionary response is to have thought out personal convictions. You still may go to war, but you'll do so determined and proud. I'll be able to say: "He died fighting for what he believed in". So the family can put that on the tombstone.

What I'm trying to say.....

"Social Media and mind altering drugs don't mix" and I believe all the younger generation are on drugs. That's why they hide under their desk at every loud noise.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:04 pm

Selling Real Estate, I need to have accounts on all the social media outlets, but I keep them focused and use them as little as possible. I am active on a number of Forums though, both active and inactive.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:24 am

I don't know Bob..., there doesn't seem to be an end to the social media absorbing more and more of our precious time.

When I was a teenager the old folks use to tell us punk kids that the loud devil rock & roll music would melt our brains and make us worthless.

........ they where probably right.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:14 am

This forum is about as social media style as the FAA. Comes with a 10 year old software that wasn't built for this kind of planet and isn't ready for the Like & Share + Thoughts & Prayer zombie apocalypse we seem to be creating. Even if I upgraded the site I would only attract more useless social media zombies to the mix.

We do have a Facebook Group which shows the same life and rigor, so eventually I may just forward this domain to it, or maybe to Seaplanemagazine.com

Problem is, more than I love to run and administrate websites, I hate having to moderate people or remind them of basic human behavior and online etiquette. I hate having to tell upright walking business professionals how to conduct themselves professionally and to work on getting our non-existent sense of community back on track.

There are many other lucrative ways to frustrate yourself and go bonkers with.

Interest in these discussions is NIL and the other guys have done what they had to, to be the ultra cool website owners with multiple plane ownerships.

Sometimes I wonder why I even give a crap. What do I care if people 3 - 6000 miles away can fly airplanes?

Let's go, put a TFR'S or No Fly Zone around every single school or Kindergarten out there. Throw the wrench and see if it really matters to me...

:lol:
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:06 am

Well this is going to become something like most of the post 911 concepts. Children our the future and many want to at least try to protect them in ways that may be useless, but make them feel good. There are other control issues out there happening the same way, though with much more relevance.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Seaplanes and Aviation in the News & Media