Member Support

• Advertisement
SeaBear Aircraft

SPA - SEAPLANE TRAINING DIRECTORY

Teaching & Learning Techniques, Study & Practice.

SPA - SEAPLANE TRAINING DIRECTORY

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:26 pm

For those who are members of the SPA and receive Water Flying Magazine, this edition has the annual Seaplane Training Firectory. One error already is that Seaplanes R Fun, Inc. lists a J-3 on EDO 1400s for solo rental and they do not rent solo any longer. It is also interesting to look at each of the listings as many are showing Updated Last in 2010 or 2011. I am surprised that with not all that manylistings, there was not a 2013 concentrated effort to call or E-mail and get current information.

Best Regards, Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: SPA - SEAPLANE TRAINING DIRECTORY

Unread postby Tim McCormack » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:43 pm

RKittine wrote:I am surprised that with not all that manylistings, there was not a 2013 concentrated effort to call or E-mail and get current information.

Best Regards, Bob

I'm not. :trying:
Tim McCormack
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby Float Pilot » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:02 pm

I was a member for years and lapsed for a year...
I never advertised with the SPA site since everyone there ALREADY has a seaplane rating.
Not a whole lot happens over there....
Float Pilot
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:12 am

I am pretty sure that being in the Directory only is for free. I know people that have Googled Seaplane Training, that do not have their rating, who found the SPA that way. Won't be too hard to put together a list of our own, set up some search key words and maybe get some additional activity from it.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:48 pm

Float Pilot wrote:I was a member for years and lapsed for a year...
I never advertised with the SPA site since everyone there ALREADY has a seaplane rating.
Not a whole lot happens over there....

See..... :acute: that's why you should advertise here with your friends. ~ 40% of our membership do not have a seaplane rating!
Of course they also very often don't pay anyone for the information they get here or participate in the generation and upkeep of it, nor do they talk much with us. :(
But your chances of hitting a reader without a seaplane rating are considerably higher on this forum.

;)
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:03 am

Guess that targeted (and paid for advertizing) is more appropriate then a general directory as a helpful tool to new pilots, though that may get more people to the site.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:42 am

Not sure, Bob.

I assume that there is two sides to SPA's offering the training directory. One is, it's just really really nice to have, another is that lots of flightschools do a LOT of advertising for the SPA by using little decals or having magazines flying around at the base. Its only right for them to show off member businesses. I am sure some seaplane CFI's give out complimentary memberships to every student. From a marketing standpoint, I do not understand magazines or newsletters. I simply don't, so call me dumb or behind the ball or whatever you'd like.

1. Why share the training directory with members? It should be available to the public, easy to find and open. This requires correct information.
2. How many people (in your opinion) read the magazine and go through the advertiser index?
3. How many refer back to the magazine to find and purchase things they want/ need? Will they find an old magazine and do business with a advertiser?
4. Lets assume 8000 magazines get printed. How many of them end up in the hands of "in the market, non rated seaplane pilot wannabe's?"
5. Any issue discussed in a magazine can be (best case) 3 months old by the time you see it.

Disclaimer: I am one of these people who don't have time to sit in a recliner and smoke a pipe while I gleefully enjoy reading association magazines.
All my magazines eventually end up in the bathroom. That's the one place in my house where I don't take calls or shop for stuff.

Where is the customer?

Chances are... the customer is online. Searching. Reading feedback given by previous customers of the outfit. Looking for information in a forum.

• How long does it take?
  • Whats the schools reputation?
  • How much does it cost?
  • What kind of airplane should I buy?
  • How do I get the float lockers to....?
  • What do you guys to for a dock/ ramp/ mooring...?
  • .................. any number of other questions...?

What I am trying to say is that next to being in the field at the SPB, a forum is the perfect place to ask. An encyclopedia on steroids, all for nothing but asking.
Helpful hands and information at your fingertips. Referrals, (Example: Hey you should check out Alex Clark, I got some bush-flying training with him in 2009 and he's some cookie)
I guess its the easiest marketing and advertising you could ever do. Be someones buddy, and they already know you when they show up for business.

Questions:

What advertising avenue/ agency will work with you for literally free? Which one of them will make you a free banner? Who will design you a business card for NOTHING?
Who will help you set up a Facebook company profile or write articles you can use to learn how to properly promote your business? All for being a sponsor who spends less here than anywhere else? You can't advertise in ANY magazine for the money I charge for a whole year on this website.

http://jasonjamesbaker.wordpress.com/category/aviation-marketing/

Look at Kevins website, for example. For years he had an older style, overloaded website. He was very unhappy.

We started talking on this two years ago. Now Kev hired a company to do his website for him, they underbid me by some $200-300 Dollars.
They screwed some stuff up, but all in all, they did a pretty good job. Essentially, in the end they asked for more money to fix what they had done.
He was already a sponsor here, so when he turned for someone to help, I naturally offered to help him, for nothing. Just because he is (was) a sponsor and a personal friend.

The 1980's are over. Paper magazines are inefficient, outdated, and on their way out the door. People love them, but they will live just as happy without them.

A training directory is just as hard to maintain as a water flying directory.
I am sure the SPA will have a app that will address this issue.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:12 pm

TIMED OUT AND WAS BLAND AGAIN ON RETURN

Hi Jason,

I read Water Flying from cover to cover as I do with the Aeronca Magazine. I have friends who do the exact same thing.

When I wanted to get current in Seaplanes (Got the rating in 1966 and never used it) in around 2001, I contacted the SPA and got the information on Argyle Flying Service and flew with them. I immediately signed up for the SPA and put the decal on my Jeep. Someone who saw the Decal stopped me and talked to me as he had a registered seaplane base and he ended up doing my annuals.

When I bought the Chief on EDO 1400s, I went back to an issue of Water Flying Magazine and looked up a supplier of Inflatable Vests and bought two of them.

From the Aeronca Magazine (also only Quarterly) I have contacted a number of advertizers that supply very specific services and products, like carb rebuilders for small Continentals etc.

I do not know what others on the site think, but I use the magazines and have plenty of friends that do.

If a Google Search of Seaplane Training turned up The Seaplane Forum we might get some additional exposure that COULD result in either new posting members or possibly supporters.

I am a member of other sites like the ICOM users site, ShotgunWorld etc. that are free and that I "Lurk" catching information and only posting if I have something specific that I can add, which happens from time to time but infrequently. Not sure that Lurkers are such a bad thing. In any case, just my two cents as always. Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:28 pm

Interesting what comes up if you Google "Seaplane Training" THE SPA comes up, but as the 12th down the list.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:49 pm

RKittine wrote:TIMED OUT AND WAS BLAND AGAIN ON RETURN

Contact Alex Clark and see how using a good browser such as Firefox will stop the timeouts.
This is not caused by the website, it is a browser problem that I cannot fix or do anything about.

Tim McCormack may be useful help too, he converted too and was quite happy.
KlausNW could be a good reference point for changing browsers to things that work.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby KlausNW » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:22 pm

Another option to beat the timed out page. Type your message in a word document then cut and paste.
It takes nearly 15 minutes before times out on my computer. If I press the back button it comes back and everything still post.
If you think you're going to time out, just copy the message before hitting the submit button. If the message is gone when you hit the back button then paste the message and try again.
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:06 pm

Thanks guys. I have noticed that Google Chrome and other browsers work better for these types of things. On my new computer running Windows 8 I get spell check even when posting here, automatically and if I do time out and hit the back key I still have what was there.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:16 pm

This a little different... instead of SPA issues hi-jacking a thread, we hi-jacked an SPA thread.
:mrgreen: :monkey: :elephant: :cowwave: :monkey: :elephant: :cowwave: :horsy: :mrgreen:
So, what's the best browser for reading and posting on this forum :?:
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Float Pilot » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:07 pm

One problem I noted this week regarding the SPA instructors directory, ( I am a member of SPA again after my lapse) is that I can't enter my info online. Instead I have to print a form, fill it out ( in or pencil since it wont let me fill it out online ) and then mail the darn thing to them.
I'll get right on that after all my house, plane and property work are done....
Float Pilot
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:30 pm

KlausNW wrote:This a little different... instead of SPA issues hi-jacking a thread, we hi-jacked an SPA thread.
:mrgreen: :monkey: :elephant: :cowwave: :monkey: :elephant: :cowwave: :horsy: :mrgreen:
So, what's the best browser for reading and posting on this forum :?:

:lol:

Of course the one that doesn't time out!
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby jjbaker » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:02 pm

RKittine wrote:For those who are members of the SPA and receive Water Flying Magazine, this edition has the annual Seaplane Training Firectory. One error already is that Seaplanes R Fun, Inc. lists a J-3 on EDO 1400s for solo rental and they do not rent solo any longer. It is also interesting to look at each of the listings as many are showing Updated Last in 2010 or 2011. I am surprised that with not all that manylistings, there was not a 2013 concentrated effort to call or E-mail and get current information.

Best Regards, Bob

Did you post this on the SPA forum or write to those in charge of this directory at the SPA? If so, any response or information?
Just did my weekend forums check up trip, looking at active topics all over the place, but I couldn't find nothing.

I ask, because there are many many many priority items on the list and many many great and credible achievements, such as 5000+ likes on Facebook.
Surely someone would be capable to help streamline or respond to questions about the Seaplane Training Directory.

I do not think (m)any SPA officials frequent this forum all that much, especially now that one has to log in to read stuff.
You could contact Bruce Hinds, who I believe still serves on the SPA Board of Directors. One would think if anyone knows, he'd be the one.
Walter Windus hasn't been seen around here since some time in March 2013, so I would doubt you would get a response to a PM.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby CFII » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:41 am

Some of the seaplane flight training facilities simply don't bother to update their data annually when queried prior to editing each year and then printing, especially if their has been no change in the data they wish to present to the public.
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:55 am

I just can not understand how the SPA though does not call each of these places prior to publishing and get the up-to-date information. There are not that many to call. Even if they miss some that are out there, the ones that they print should be relatively up to date. Calling more than a few resulted in informaiton as old as pre-2008 with NO REQUEST from the SPA to update, at least that is what I was told by two of them.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:13 am

How many entries in the list currently printed?

The sword has two sharp sides.

SPA's 24/7 job should be advocacy work. Being listed in the training directory is not a one way street. Involved members and volunteers should take this task on.
You either need a more involved membership or you need a significant move away from events, Facebook and other credible achievements & priorities which seem to take time and resources.

There comes a moment when the number of hotdogs on the grill can no longer be managed without burning some of them up.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:45 am

Maybe I am doing something wrong as I have volunteered to do some things like this and have sent in Documents entries for the Water Directory, all of which have gone unused or unresponded to. I get the resource allocation issue.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:18 am

RKittine wrote:Maybe I am doing something wrong as I have volunteered to do some things like this and have sent in Documents entries for the Water Directory, all of which have gone unused or unresponded to. I get the resource allocation issue.

It is natural to seek failure in oneself. I did the same thing. Lots of people have offered to volunteer on lots of tasks and either don't hear back or feel ignored.

Fact is, if what you propose or volunteer fits into the current priority agenda and can be officially delegated to someone in such a way that positive reflection falls upon the association, then it is most likely something that can be arranged quickly. In other words, unless the idea comes from the leadership team, it is unlikely to become a priority list item. Eventually they will get to it, and that's when the idea is born or first heard of. It will then be executed and presented to the membership as a new, innovative way of doing things and listed under milestones and achievements. I am willing to bet that SPA's 2013 Facebook budget (the money it costs to get 5000+ likes and reach many of them) may match or even slightly exceed this forums complete operational budget.

Sounds crazy, I know, but probably not too far off reality. Can't back this up, because I am not in receipt of $$ numbers.
I looked into a Facebook campaign once to boost visibility of this site and backed off due to the cost.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Return to Seaplane Training & Flight Instructor Tips