Member Support

• Advertisement

That Old Glasy Water Landing Issue

Share Your Feedback On Products And Services With The Rest Of The Gang!
Forum rules
This forum is not the right place for sellers and manufacturers to introduce their product or solicit membership feedback. Posts are closely monitored and will be deleted if unpaid advertising appears here.

Topics/ Items discussed are not paid advertisings/ endorsements for any specific product and no compensation/ reimbursement has been received to introduce or discuss any product here. If Seaplaneforum.com has received any reimbursement for introducing any product, this will be properly disclaimed in the respective post.

Seller/ Distributor retains all liability and responsibility for the accuracy, legality and usability of any products. Shared for informational purposes only. All Rights Reserved. Questions/ Concerns? seaplaneforum@gmail.com Thank you. J. Baker (Owner/Publisher Seaplaneforum.com)

Re: That Old Glasy Water Landing Issue

Unread postby Tim McCormack » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:39 pm

Either Jason has a pseudonym, or some competition. :anonymous: :P :P
Tim McCormack
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby CFII » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:20 pm

akavidflyer wrote:
Tim McCormack wrote:Bob, that last statement is true if you're sure the barometric pressure hasn't changed since you last set it. It doesn't take much change to make a 2 foot difference. :o

I have a watch that shows the barometric pressure. I have found it to be very accurate and it works well to set the altimeter by when I am flying off airport. Only time I lost all visual clues was a night landing on a remote lake. That was the highest pucker factor I think I have ever had in a plane.

:beer:

A fluctuating temperature correction often needs to be calculated to the watch baro to give the most accurate attempt at actual altitude. With a safety pilot, I've used only the watch altimeter and its magnetic compass to shoot practice VOR approaches with a handheld NAV/COM -it's not pretty but doable.
CFII
Gold Wings II Member
Gold Wings II Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:32 pm

I enjoyed reading that. My dad navigated flying the Pacific during WWII with a sextant and I wish I had listened and learned more from him when I was younger. I should know my isogonic line angles and ratio better

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:24 pm

Hence why Non-Percision approaches have higher MDAs without the local altimeter setting.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Savona » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:33 am

I have never had a problem with too glassy.
Too rough yes.
Give me calm any time at all.
Savona
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby 46cubby » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:01 pm

Glassy water ,,,, just try Seal Bombs!!
46cubby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:30 pm

And a Seal Bomb would be? :fishing:
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby 46cubby » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:07 am

About 1/3 stick of dynamite we use to keep seals away, used in the commercial fishing industry up here .
46cubby
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:29 pm

Sounds more like fishing with Hand Grenades! :fishing:

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Bill Rusk » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:49 am

This is a classic glassy water landing. You can hear him increase power as he sets his attitude, then see the touchdown is not perfectly smooth. Pretty cool, short, (less than 2 minutes) video.

Bill

Very Blessed.
Bill Rusk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby harmonii60 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:38 am

This would have been glassy save all the boat wake from the flippin barefooters!

Hey IMHO, I much prefer glassy to any other type, and if space is really tight, well then you have shore reference... right? For sure I wouldn't want to do a Night glassy :P
Live on lake, seaplane in back yard!
harmonii60
Active Member Wings
Active Member Wings

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:26 pm

I've done a few dark glassy water landings when I got distracted and got back to my 3000' long pond. J4 no electrical system, no lights.
I start getting my eyes used to the dark about 30 min out. Don't look ant ANY light and your eyes will start to adjust and you will be able to see objects. Be carful because you won't have any depth perception. Landing towards the brighter sky will give you a reflection of the water. I have 50' trees around the pond so I come in high and slip till the trees on the other end start to block the reflection on the water. At that point I'm about 8' up and have about 6 or 7 seconds to get it on the water before the pond ends. Not pretty some nights but an hour or 2 after sunset you take what you get. The Amish fisherman have learned to get out of the way when they hear me coming :attack:

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby skimmerone » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:28 pm

I made three many years ago on our mile long lake. 2 had moonlight and a breeze and I new exactly where the water was. One was pitch black and when I saw leaves floating on the surface with the landing light, I went around. Next try I landed by using less power and making sure I was at treetop height when I came to the lake.
skimmerone
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Previous

Return to Seaplane Product Reviews & Discussions