Member Support

Everybody's Favorite group - SPA...

Everything aviation & seaplane related as well as personal subjects...

Everybody's Favorite group - SPA...

Unread postby Rajay » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:31 pm

I recently noticed that I don't think that I have seen a new edition of SPA's Water Flying magazine since I got the Jan/Feb 2017 edition. I'm not sure that I ever received any new editions in the last 6 months so now I'm wondering if they were ever sent. Seems awfully coincidental that multiple issues just disappeared from my mailbox... Is something up with SPA beyond the usual lack of responsiveness?

I tried to contact them via e-mail and via their Facebook page, but nothing so far... While I was at it, I also asked if there was some reference source online by which I could see the covers of any intervening issues, just so I could at least see if they are in any way familiar. If anyone here is so inclined and able to post photos of any Water Flying covers they've gotten since the Jan/Feb 2017 issue, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Rajay
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Re: Everybody's Favorite group - SPA...

Unread postby KlausNW » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:14 pm

When you are as powerful, influential, revered and relevant as SPA... answering the little peoples emails is just not that important. Come to think of it, why are you giving a non-positive impression of the Seaplane Gods?

Ya know, they have 10's of thousands of facebook likes? Isn't that enough?
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Rajay » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:41 pm

Hey, it was originally (3 - 4 years ago) a "gift" membership given to me by a new friend and Widgeon owner. I want to make sure that I am getting my money's worth!
Rajay
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:34 pm

Is it just you or are others missing them also?

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:34 am

I receive them at my New York City address and will have to look and see what the last issue that I have is as soon as I get back to Manhattan. Since they are Bi-Monthly, I seldom think about them after I read them. I get 16 magazines a month, so it would be easy for me to miss one and not realize it.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby Rajay » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:41 am

cubdriver2 wrote:Is it just you or are others missing them also?

Glenn

I have no way of knowing that - except by asking around places like this...
Rajay
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:01 am

Withdrawals?

Kneeling before this powerslide and singing and praying to the gods will qualify for expedited email answering.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:31 am

Pretty Pictures ......
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:32 am

I would comment more, but I am in the middle of my On Line Flight Instructor Refresher and can only get on other sites when I have finished early and am waiting for the time to expire.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:45 am

You're supposed to be up the river getting your hands dirty?

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:46 am

He didn't want me there.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:28 am

RKittine wrote:He didn't want me there.

Your choice not his

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:14 pm

In any case, they got the plane out on Wednesday but only started the annual. Apparently a hole was poked in the right float when it was moved from the hanger and that had to be patched. I am waiting to hear if they finished the annual today or not, but am planning on spending next Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday on the Island.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:09 pm

Bullsh!t, nothing happened when we moved it.

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby Rajay » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:36 pm

What a bunch of old pirates! You guys have completely hijacked this thread. What does any of that have to do with missing Water Flying magazines?
Rajay
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:44 pm

Aye, LOL. Are you sure your looking in the correct mailbox? If you didn't give them any money like the rest of us you wouldn't be having this problem :headbang:

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:51 am

:roll:

The magazines are IIRC sent out for one or two issues after the membership lapses, in hopes for renewals.

:acute:
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:14 am

Just checked, the January / February issue is the latest one I have also. I did get my annual Seaplane Association Decal though! :beer:

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:45 am

Shouldn't the current version be March/April 2017 or even May/June?

Sumtin wong!
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby Rajay » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:19 pm

Last week, I got in touch with Mark Twombly, editor of SPA's Water Flying magazine. Asked him 2 things - how much do they pay for article submission for publication in the magazine and how can I find out what issues have supposedly come out since the Jan./Feb. 2017 issue that seems to be the last one I actually received.

He responded very quickly and told me that they typically pay $200 for an article and that he looked forward to hearing about any ideas I might have for one.

I wrote back and sent him copies of several seaplane-related pieces that I have written in the hopes of having them published in a magazine (one of which is already spoken for at another magazine, but I told him to consider it another sample of my writing.) However, there was no mention in his reply of anything about the "missing" issues of the magazine...

So, yesterday I wrote back to him again and asked once more specifically about the missing issues of the magazine...and you guessed it - STILL NOTHING!
Rajay
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:35 pm

Mark is very likely in Oshkosh, he wears more than one hat. Give him time, he will respond.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby jjbaker » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:20 pm

Paid articles usually go to the one and only seaplane pahlot expert out there. Not sure if that monopoly still exists. The only reason to sign up for a membership would be to find out how many members the SPA now claims to have - aaaand, the financial reports.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:19 am

I have had two pictures published in the SPA magazine, but they do not pay anything for them. I write regularly for two magazines, that pay small amounts per piece and one the provides free membership for writing for them.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:38 pm

I had some guy inquire to write for our Seaplanemagazine.com right after we launched the site but he thought his professional wisdom was worth more than Seaplanemagazine.com itself.

Rajay actually just joined our small team as "Technical Content Editor" covering his own line of topics. Everyone who knows him from here, knows that this guy can write and knows the trade. Chris, Sky and I are very happy to have him in our little team.

http://seaplanemagazine.com/2017/07/25/ ... nt-editor/

Eventually I can start paying small fees for guest articles, as feedback to our new advertising system has been extremely positive. For a whole year I refused to even talk advertising, to make sure the site could stand on its own.

The magazine has exceeded my wildest expectations in terms of growing readership and followers.
Only about 45% of our traffic comes from Facebook, and Facebook has been the only valid social media platform to promote the magazine.
We share every single article on Facebook and Twitter.

http://www.facebook.com/seaplanemagazine
http://www.twitter.com/seaplanemag

We just hit 500 completely organic likes and for the first time in several years, I enjoy being a part of this industry again.
2018 will bring some cool and exciting stuff, such as the Seaplanemagazine.com App and Live Coverage from OSH (if we get enough sponsors :lol: ).

We now have ~230 articles in circulation, more up to date and direct than any other print medium out there.
My aim is 6 articles per week, mainly news, then some videos, history stuff, pictures, there is more than enough to do.

You can submit your favorite Waterbird Pictures, or tell me directly if you wish to share a interesting story about your flying adventures.

The best: I answer my emails in less than 1/2 hour and respond to EVERYONE, friend or enemy.

;-)
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby jjbaker » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:29 pm

Make sure your articles don't end up being published without pay or notice.

I once appeared in the Waterflying Magazine shaking hands with the big boss in Greenville, Maine, without giving consent to picture publication. Big shame to get emails from people who saw me in the magazine...

Part of a fake peace campaign, the declared enemy of SPA (according to Dr. McManus) and the new guy at the helm at SPA. :-)))

That didn't irk me very much, most SPA members or people out there would not recognize me if I stepped on their tie.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion