Member Support

Death Sentence For "J" Walking

Everything aviation & seaplane related as well as personal subjects...

Death Sentence For "J" Walking

Unread postby KlausNW » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:38 pm

UBER HALTS SELF-DRIVING CARS AFTER FATALITY

http://www.wnd.com/2018/03/uber-halts-s ... -fatality/

BLOOMBERG) — Uber Technologies Inc. halted autonomous vehicle tests after one of its cars struck and killed a woman in Tempe, Arizona, in what is likely the first pedestrian fatality involving the technology.

The woman was crossing the road outside of a crosswalk when the Uber vehicle, operating in autonomous mode under the supervision of a human safety driver, struck her, according to the Tempe Police Department. She was transferred to a local hospital where she died from her injuries. “Uber is assisting and this is still an active investigation,” Liliana Duran, a spokeswoman from the Tempe police, said in an emailed statement. .....
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Death Sentence For "J" Walking

Unread postby RKittine » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:09 pm

Even here in Manhattan, they don't kill you for "J" Walking.
Klaus and J.J., you are probably too young to remember Sunday Nights Diseny World and Jiminie Crickets two famous jingles.

I learn to sell Mississippi with the one as well as encyclopedia - "Its the Encylcopedia Enc yc lo ped dia"

But one that I still sing occassionally is:

"Don't cross the street in the middle, in the middle in the middle of the block. Teach your eyes to look out, teach your ears to hear, walk up to the corner, till the coast is clear, then wait and wait until you see the light turn green."

My wasted youth.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:17 pm

Probably face down looking at her phone

Glenn
cubdriver2
Platinum Wings Member
Platinum Wings Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:09 am

A couple years back, a city council was asked what will happen if someone gets run over?
The city council referred to the company doing the trials. The company said that can't happen. When it was asked again they said it would be under review.

That's why I say it's a death sentence. In a month or two the trials will start back up as popular as ever and another pedestrian will bite the dust.

That's alright we have lots of pedestrians.... can't get them all.
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:11 am

Pedestrian deaths, especially those that pedestrian illegal actions prompt, happen all the time. People used to driving and walking on the right side getting hit by buses in England etc., but since this is new technology and has little humanization, they will be looked on more harshly regardless of how few there are. As I kid, I remember that articles in Popular Mechanics etc. projecting cars running on roads with wires controlling them. High assisted driving, is probably more of a reasonable reality to start off with, but that is not how it has gone. Next there will have to be Walls on the side walks to force pedestrians to follow the rules.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:23 pm

I believe this will be different this time. I live in a tourist town and people get hit all the time. The media goes through a standard report and lawsuits get filed. The cops write up a report and sometimes the driver is sited and most of the time the person wearing all black walking down the street at night is sited.

This time the legal industry is going to come down totally on the side of the technology. They have too. Time to except that walking inside the lines that belong to the driverless cars is fatally dangerous. The potential of safer travel is not going to happen if we don't rethink our road system.

If you walk between the railroad rails who is wrong? The new street rules are coming. Those 4 inch white lines are the new railroad rails.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:18 pm

That may be true, but I can tell you with all the new Bike lanes and pedestrian lanes in New York City, you still have to really be on the look out for pedestrians and cyclists that don't follow the rules. That change to human nature in my opinion will be a long time in coming.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to General Discussion