Member Support

• Advertisement

Amphibs on land

Teaching & Learning Techniques, Study & Practice.

Amphibs on land

Unread postby Glastar » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:56 pm

Ok, I've read and watched a bunch of stuff about operating on water with floats but almost nothing about landing on a runway. Is it as strange feeling as It seems to me that it would be?( I'm bad enough with tricycle gear!) Can you suggest any reading or videos that would help me start getting my brain in gear?Thanks for reading this!
Jim Merrill
Glastar
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Amphibs on land

Unread postby Stevesbrother » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:48 pm

You can use a simulator to practice. Head down to Walmart grab one of their giant shopping carts. Find a hill with windy conditions and jump in! Not that bad but takes some getting used too. Turning is with braking applications like tailwheel and free castoring trike. Full airlerons to start on takeoff subtle jabs of brake and practice you'll go strait after awhile. Leave the airleron into the wind a lot longer than normal. Rudder to keep you strait . Oh and if you ever land on a side hill ...hang on ......uphill brake won't be effective because weight is on down hill wheels. Take care of those nose wheels especially on grass dirt etc. those little things are really spinning and not much if any shock absorption. A little bulky and clunky but gives you more possibilities. AND PLEASE FOR YOUR SAKE AND OURS .......GUMP CHECK BEFORE EVERY LANDING ....and I mean really look and really touch knobs don't just see what you want to see. Most important have fun !
"Still dreaming and hoping to die young at heart with a bar room story that will close the place"
Stevesbrother
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby BGH » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:19 pm

I have to agree with stevesbrother about the large shopping cart.Should add on departure don't over rotate & on landing ease the nose wheels onto the runway while you still have authority or they will just fall & bounce when the plane completely stops flying.Aircraft will tend to cock away from the wind on landing as well.

Daryl
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:34 am

Adding to the recommendations... Before taking off on amphibs, turn on to the runway, stop, look around and take in the site picture. Set there for a minute or two and realize how high you are above the ground and what it's going to look like when you are flaring to land. Many pilots find themselves over or under estimating their altitude when they flare.

like mentioned before, the nose gear is fragile and should be treated that way.... hold the controls back as hard as you can (all the time) and protect the little nose gear.

that's my two cents.
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Seaplane Training & Flight Instructor Tips