Member Support

• Advertisement

Harrison Ford

Share global news about seaplanes here...

Harrison Ford

Unread postby KeithSmith » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:07 am

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/harrison-fords-close-call-in-another-airplane-mishap-was-unusual-and-troubling-experts-say/ar-AAmZEt9?li=BBnb7Kz

We've all seen it and if you're anything like me, several of your friends have asked you about it. So, what are your thoughts? I'll toss in mine for what little they are worth.

Yep, it was wrong and a bit hard to understand how it happened, but it wasn't nearly as dangerous as the news would lead one to believe. I've seen it happen before. There are a lot of factors that play into such an event and it's never 100% the pilot's fault.

Now the FAA is in a situation where they have a guy who needs "something" who also happens to be a big advocate for general aviation. He doesn't just talk the talk, he walks the walk. He has contributed his time and money to mentor kids in aviation. He's done more than a lot of those so called "aviation experts" who were happy to see their name in the news with their opinions about how he should be tarred and feathered.

Personally, I hope he gets the advice and mentoring that he needs to go forward in aviation without endangering himself or anyone else and it's all done with as little pain and embarrassment to him as possible.
KeithSmith
Silver Wings Member
Silver Wings Member

Re: Harrison Ford

Unread postby RKittine » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:48 am

Unfortunately because of his celebrity status, this will not blow over. This might end up, like though different, the Bob Hoover medical issues. Harrison, used to have an apartment on my block in New York City and when in town, he was regularly around the area, in the restaurants and in the shops. He had one of his planes at Caldwell Airport in the same row of hangers where I kept my C182 and John F. Kennedy, Jr. kept his before moving to the Piper. He was a fixture at the airport and because a very close friend of mine was the New York River Keeper under the Bobby Kennedy Charity Fund I got to take a helicopter flight with him piloted by Harrison, on an inspection tour of the Hudson River.

There are guys at my current home airport, well into their 80s that are flying and doing it safely. There are also those that mean well and do great deeds for the cause, but due to age no longer have the physical or mental capacity to keep as sharp as they should be. Again, due to his celebrity status, they are going to look closely. They will most likely put him though more medical paces then anything, physical and mental as he is one of the Hollywood Good Guys that is not a druggy or heavy drinker.

I wish him well and hope that what ever they do that he comes out of it still flying and doing it in a safe and enjoyable way.

This also blends into the thread on the issues with ages, abilities etc. on Drivers licenses and flying as well as the new medical regulations that go into effect May 1st. I have self grounded myself many times even under LSA rules, when I could have just played dumb (I know Glenn , easy for me) and flown anyway. Some of the guidelines are not just bureaucratic nuisances.

Bob

P.S. - Goes to show you how much those Husky's look like Helicopters though!
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Harrison Ford

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:33 am

It is common for helicopters to land right where he landed. Possible his mindset was in the wrong aircraft?

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Seaplanes and Aviation in the News & Media