Member Support

• Advertisement

Annual Inspection

Everything aviation & seaplane related as well as personal subjects...

Annual Inspection

Unread postby RKittine » Sun May 14, 2017 11:04 am

Any mechanics out there that can answer this? If our Aeronca Sedan is inspected for a new Annual on wheels, what then has to be done when it does on the straight floats?

Glenn, Are you going to be at Argyle soon? As far as I know, Dick no longer has a mechanic. Do you know someone locally that will fly into Argyle and do the annual?

Thanks, Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Annual Inspection

Unread postby cubdriver2 » Sun May 14, 2017 11:12 am

On my way to island

Glenn
cubdriver2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Sun May 14, 2017 12:41 pm

Glenn, Give me a call when you land. Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Sun May 14, 2017 1:53 pm

That has been a common question up in Alaska since many pilots switch gear from wheels to skis to floats and back to wheels before the next annual.

Simple answer:
FAA FAR 91.403 General.

(a) The owner or operator of an aircraft is primarily responsible for maintaining that aircraft in an airworthy condition, including compliance with part 39 of this chapter.

Link to most current FAA FAR PART 91 regulations:
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=994370bf6bfe45247fb4092ac214af70&mc=true&node=pt14.2.91&rgn=div5

Another way to understand what that means;

If you have any questions about anything you haven't experienced before bring in someone who has the experience and knowledge. A Boeing 737 mechanic with no General Aviation experience my hold the certificate but use common sense. A homebuilder or owner with no A&P but lots of experience and knowledge is a better choice for answering questions. Regulations still say an A&P or Repairman will do "Inspections". The aircraft does not need an inspection after switching gear if the gear has been on before. Weight and Balance is always required on any change to aircraft that effects the Center of Gravity or Empty Weight.

Quite often I use the owners knowledge to sign-off gear changes because they have more experience then I do with the installation. The mechanics involvement then just turns into a regulation and paperwork procedure. Sometimes I get called in just to give the owner confidence and another set of eyes because, who is the final responsible person for the aircraft's safety?
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Sun May 14, 2017 5:25 pm

Thanks to Glenn, He confirmed today that the plane is in the Hanger at Island Bob's, is on the floats and I will arrange for a mechanic to come to the island to do the annual. I am not really interested in flying it on wheels, but who knows when the end of the season comes. Maybe even some Skis.

Bob
Attachments
ANOTHER VIEW.jpg
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby BGH » Sun May 14, 2017 7:38 pm

It's been a while since my dad & I did the annuals on our 185 but change over from wheels to floats happened each year about April- annuals were always done in August so an amendment to the weight & balance was done at changeover & the annual stated which configuration the aircraft was on at he time that the annual was done.

Daryl
BGH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Sun May 14, 2017 7:59 pm

We used to switch over the Chief from Floats to Wheels when we had that. Will be nice to now carry a passenger and full fuel. Maybe even a tent, sleeping bag and some supplies.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to General Discussion