Member Support

Well Known Alaska Pilot and Friend

Share global news about seaplanes here...

Well Known Alaska Pilot and Friend

Unread postby KlausNW » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:16 pm

Alaska Man Dies in Florida Plane Crash

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Alaska-man-dies-in-Florida-plane-crash-475480143.html

By Kortnie Horazdovsky | Posted: Wed 4:50 PM, Feb 28, 2018
ANCHORAGE (KTUU) - A Cordova man was killed in a small plane crash Tuesday near Jacksonville, Florida.

The Florida Highway Patrol responded at about 7:30 Tuesday evening to a small plane crash into a river in Crescent City, which is about 75 miles south of Jacksonville.

Patrick Magie, of Cordova, Alaska, and Michael Martin of Georgetown, Fl. were identified as the two men killed in the crash. The plane they were flying in was a Kodiak 100.

The Putnam County Sheriff's office told WNTV, the local NBC affiliate, that the plane was about 12 feet underwater, with the tail section being all that was left above the water.

The Florida Highway Patrol also said that both men lived in Mt. Royal Air Park Neighborhood, which is very close to the location of the crash.
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Well Known Alaska Pilot and Friend

Unread postby RKittine » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:22 am

I am sorry that you lost a friend and also sorry that it was an aviation accident of some kind. Sorry for the other person who also died. Did you know him too, even though he was apparently from Florida.

Although the article did not state if the plane was trying to land on the river or not and there were no floats visible in the photo, do you know if this plane was on floats? Amhibs? Straight?

I have no experience with the Single Engine Turbo Prop Kodiak 100, but it looked like a small version on a Cessna Caravan from the pictures I found on the web. How are they reliability wise?

In any case, my condolences to the families and you as his friend.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:47 am

The Kodiak is a highly regarded Single TP and used extensively in pretty remote locations. I think some 200 + of them are flying all over the planet.

I am very sad about Pats passing and my condolences to the people who are now left wondering about the why and how...
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:14 am

Do you know Pat J.J.? Was the Kodiak on floats?

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:14 pm

I read a number of news articles and none of them said it was on floats. I'm suspicious that it wasn't. Usually if the aircraft on floats hits the water hard the floats will stick out. Just have to wait and see. The NTSB said they are reconstructing the aircraft out of the water.

Pat comes from a family of pilots and commercial aviation people. The family business in Cordova, AK has been around for many decades and they operated the Hawaii floatplane business also. Many times when a very challenging flight or contract came up somewhere in the world Pat was the go to pilot. One of the jobs that I worked with him on was a Beech 18 on floats hauling 55 gallon drums of Jet A. The small mountain lake was deep enough in the mountains that the weather was usually below most pilot's minimums and GPS wasn't invented yet. Pat flew the last load of Jet A to the helicopters operating the area and returned. Three days later the helicopter pilots showed up and said they had to wait for the weather to improve before flying out.
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:44 pm

Sound like the Aviation Fraternity will miss him as well as his family. Great career, only with an unhappy ending.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:57 pm

Hi Bob,

I've had occasional contact with him but never met him in person. I believe at one time he signed up here as a member.

Dave Quam and Mr.Floatplane JJ would have known him quite well, I think Dave bought his first Seaplane from Pat.

I can't tell if she was on Floats or not but from the general shape of this airplane it doesn't look like it was a very soft impact.

Let the NTSB do its job and in time we will learn what transpired. Basic piety prohibits any sort of speculation or questions and if she was on Floats I'll hate bringing the NTSB report on Seaplanemagazine.com
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:16 pm

Certainly not speculating, just wondered if anyone knew if it was on floats or not. I agree with Klaus that from the picture, you would think that floats would have been noticeable, but who knows.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:40 pm

Registration was N969TB so maybe there are pics of the air-frame some place.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2018/02/q ... ident.html
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Return to Seaplanes and Aviation in the News & Media