Member Support

The Return of the Conorde ?????

Share global news about seaplanes here...

The Return of the Conorde ?????

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:33 am

I was lucky to have an employer that sent me all over the world and paid for First Class international travel. I like all my flights on the Concorde, unless I was forced to be in the window seat (too tall for the curvature of the pressure hull). Talk about fuel management issues though. Will be nice to see this type travel come back.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/nerdcor ... spartandhp

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: The Return of the Conorde ?????

Unread postby jjbaker » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:27 am

Always good to see Multi Billionaires pumping their money into useless pipe dreams. Great idea! Something I never understood: Do first class passengers actually really depart an hour later and arrive two hours before the economy class crowd that gets beaten up by staff and Pilots?
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:40 pm

Don't be so cynical. If Billionaires are willing to part with their money, then a lot of workers will be employed in order to build, operating and maintain these. You having a hard on for Billionaires is not going to make them go away or lose their money.

Personally I was surprised when the Concorde was not replaced. They did make money when they tied with the Steamship line and offered a package deal on a round trip on the QEII and the Concorde.

Not sure what it will cost to put them in service, but if the cost is similar to a Business class seat as stated, (all 55 of them) then there are plenty of companies ready to pay for their international travels to fill them up. All 9 seats were full in First Class on my last trip to Tokyo and those seats were $17,990 each. All the business class seats were full, though many like mine were probably Non-Rev upgrades.

For three years while I was with IKEA with my office in Waterloo (Belgium) I was on a plane all the time. The Concorde type aircraft would have shaved a lot of time off my weekly (3 weeks per month) commute to Europe and my once a month trip to either South American or Asia.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. New York, New York - East Hampton, New York & Warwick, New York 631.374.9652
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby KlausNW » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:56 pm

If time was not a factor in life we would just continue to sail the Atlantic in great big beautiful sailing ships. Life is short and many of us want to accomplish something with our short time on this planet. Time does matter.

I will always support technology that creates more opportunities for more people. Being a Christian "bitter clinger", I believe I get to take my life's experiences good and bad with me to the other side. Improving life for others, I put it in the 'Good' column. I'll be old fashion and keep trying to create more opportunities and make a better life for those who are just entering this game.
Klaus Marx - Piper Pacer Pilot
Juneau, AK & Wenatchee, WA . . . . . . Click on Link Bar to view the 'non-profit' group.
Image Image
KlausNW
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby RKittine » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:51 pm

But then you might also hit an iceberg, though I am not into big cruise ships. I do like Viking River Cruises.
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:24 am

Cynical? How about realistic?

"In the interest of a successful long-term future, we needed to find the right partner to continue our good work. Wanfeng and specifically Mr. Bin Chen [president of Wanfeng] share my vision of the future of general aviation and are investing for the right reasons with a long-term strategy and the resources to see their vision through." - Said by the owner and founder of Diamond Aircraft.

Those with valid long term 20% ROI strategies and the resources fortunately have a lot of formerly proud companies and a lot of know how to acquire within the next 5 years... Of course we can continue to sling automobiles into outer space and build airplanes for those who wish to depart today and arrive yesterday. Please don't remind me that Diamond isn't an American company, I knew that.

Someone have a email address for Mr. Tumting Wong or Tu Lo Gear? Entertaining news out there folks.
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Unread postby RKittine » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:59 am

Jason,

So lets say that it doesn't make it. Exactly how are you REALLY negatively impacted? The technology may leave openings for other things and if it does make it, then like the Pre-Battery issue Concorde it will be seen In New York and Paris. So a few Rich Boys, that you seem to loath, move on and try something else. What it is though is a Potentially Positive story about aviation. Not a crash, not someone's dog dying in the overhead etc. etc. Maybe it will just inspire another young person to dream about flying on or piloting one.

Bob
SUPPORTING MEMBER

Bob
rkittine@aol.com WA2YDV
RKittine
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Unread postby jjbaker » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:16 am

Not a whole lot is personally affecting me negatively, certainly never a plane that will have a seat-price in the 5 digit range. Thought you knew that.

If I loathed rich people though, why would I spend 10 years of my life catering to their money spending toys and fighting for their continued presence and future growth?

I am sorry, I have little to no passion for the airline and transport style Aviation world. That doesn't mean I Hate the Concorde, it's in fact a shame and pain to see it having to be redeveloped, instead of upgrading all the parked ones. I just don't care much for big planes. I don't follow the industry and rarely ever read anything or write much about these big Rocket Tylenol's. I try to avoid sitting in them (not because I have to travel with the smelly bourgeois) when and where possible.

Most of my life is all about little toy planes and the fun of flying machines, seat of the pants flying, non TSA regulated flying, passion driven flying, wants based personal and recreational flying, enjoyment focused little experimental, sport or certified machine flying. If it doesn't have a motor, I enjoy it as much as I enjoy planes who can fly greasy side up or make you very dizzy. MOST, I love planes which raise your blood pressure and heart rate, not your social status.

To stay on the original topic, I would smile ear to ear if someone went and actually RETURNED THE CONCORDE back into killing bugs by impact, not old dying of old age while leaving a tiny speck of fly poop on on them. Great plane, indeed and taken for no good or halfway valid reason. I'd have rather seen the true Concorde battle upgraded, she is a timeless machine.

Of course I won't cry if new developments in the big plane industry (declared enemy of GA and BA) revolutionize our way of flying!
jjbaker
Owner/ Admin
Owner/ Admin

Return to Seaplanes and Aviation in the News & Media